Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

CQ 5.6.1 templates & components on AEM 6.4

Level 4

Hi Masters!

I’m working with templates and components developed originally in CQ 5.6.1, but now deployed on an AEM 6.4 instance.

Basically, my templates are static templates with some typical <cq:include path="par" resourceType="foundation/components/parsys"/>. I know the components need the new TouchUI dialogs (cq:dialog), but we can start with the EXT version for now.

At first sight, site pages work fine in TouchUI. They render well. Also, I’ve checked the Blueprint/Livecopy functionalities and works fine. But the problem is that we can’t see the ‘edit’ button when we click on any component. We can only see ‘Copy’, ‘Group’ and ‘Convert…’. The component is already on the page, so it’s not a ‘design mode’ issue.

Any idea?

Kind regards.

30 Replies

Level 4

Hi!

I've reviewed this official AEM 6.4 documentation page:

Create a Fully-Featured Website (JSP)

I've downloaded and installed the package from this page (website-1_0.zip), and I've the same issue. It doesn't work. You can configure in design mode the components available in a parsys, but you can't add or edit any component.

So, it's an AEM 6.4 bug? Or a documentation bug? (Or it's me?!)

Kind regards,

Employee Advisor

I downloaded the mentioned zip file and installed it also on my local AEM 6.4 instance, and I am able to add new components to the page and also open the component dialogs. I am using Touch UI.

Jörg

Level 10

Hi Julio,

Whatever you use components and templates for AEM 5.6.1, it will work in AEM 6.4 too until unless it is deprecated.

The Adobe documentation you are referring is to create full featured website in JSP: Create a Fully-Featured Website (JSP)

Also, the recommended/best practice is to use HTL aka sightly components from AEM 6.1 onwards. Please have a look of HELPX articles which you create full featured website using HTL.

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Creating your First Adobe Experience Manager 6.3 website

Quickly Create a Fully-Featured Website

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.

Level 4

Hi Ratna.

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't help. Obviously, unless they are deprecated, components should work. But they don't.

Of course, the original components were developed as JSP components, as HTL-Sightly was not available with CQ 5.6.1. We don't need to create new HTL components, we need the original /content structure and components, that is nowadays on a live site, in CQ 5.6.1, works on AEM 6.4. We are trying to avoid a migration of not only components, but all the /content to a new, different, structure.

Anyway, the steps stated in the official documentation I referred previously should work, but it doesn't. Maybe I will open a Support ticket.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Level 10

Many times when upgrading to AEM 6.4 from 5.x - you may need to rewrite your components - esp if they have Java libs and dependencies.

When moving to 6.4 - you should work through this article - which reflects best practice in AEM 6.4 and 6.4 technologies like editable templates, HTL, etc:

Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

That JSP topic is old and even has this note:

Adobe recommends leveraging the latest AEM technologies for your websites as described in detail in the article Getting Started Developing AEM Sites.

Level 10

Just talked to Support - if your components do not work in Classic UI - then open a suprort ticket.

Level 4

Thank you Scott. What about the article [1] in the official AEM 6.4 documentation? In this example, there's only a foundation/components/parsys, and it doesn't work. Even with a simple text or title component.

I'm going to open a Support Ticket. Thanks.

[1] Create a Fully-Featured Website (JSP)

Level 7

Just check are you getting any error in your browser console, while opening the page. If yes and it is related to max call stack trace, then try to increase Number of Calls per Request by going to http://localhost:4502/system/console/configMgr then search for Apache Sling main servlet and increase its value from 1000 to 1500.

Level 4

Hi Ankur!

We don't have any errors on loading the page. But we've an error when clicking in the parsys 'Drag components here' container. The console error is:

http://localhost:4502/mnt/overlay/wcm/core/content/editor/_jcr_content/content/items/content/content... 403 (Forbidden)

I've changed the value of Apache Sling Main Servlet to 1500, but nothing changed.

Thanks for your time!

I've opened a support ticket, and I will update this thread with the solution. Anyway, if anybody wants to win the Support Team solving it... :-)

Regards.

Level 4

I'm sorry. The example package from official documentation works fine on fresh AEM 6.4 installation. I was installing on a new AEM 6.4 installation, but with other project deployed on it, and it seems this project is interfering with standard AEM functionality.

I'll investigate further. Thank you all.

Level 3

Hi Julio, even we are getting same error 403 forbidden if I click on parsys.( After migrating to 6.4)

Can you please let me know if you have found any fix for it.

It will be helpful

Level 4

Hi preethamk69474858.

My issues were related with some overlays of original CQ 5.6.1 components, in /libs/foundation/components/*. With foundation/components/page, exactly. These overlays didn't work with newest versions of AEM 6.4.

Once deleted these overlays, we started to be able to edit the components as usual.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Julio.

Level 1

Hi,

Did you found any working solution ? i am also facing same issue.

Level 2

Hello,

Any news about  403 (Forbidden) when we click in the parsys 'Drag components here' container ?

I checked on a clean AEM 6.4 instance on bellow projects and the problem still persists.
http://localhost:4502/editor.html/content/we-retail/us/en.html

http://localhost:4502/editor.html/content/wknd/en/sports/la-skateparks.html

Kindly ask if someone can provide a solution / workaround for this issue.

Thank you,

Ionut

Community Advisor

Can you try to add 'Edit' option from cq:editConfig

• cq:actions specifies the comma separated list of actions those can be performed on the component. This also allow a user to set the label of dialog. These actions are - insert, edit, delete, - , text:value, copymove. All of these should be configued as string array.

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Thank you for reply @Arun Patidar, but seems that it's not working, maybe I'm missing something. There is an working example where we will not get 403 when we click on 'Drag component here' for one of those 2 projects ?
thank you

Level 3

Hi,

I am facing same issue, did you get any chance to get some solution around this issue ?

Employee Advisor

The biggest change to the resourcetype foundation/components/page from 5.6.1 (and probably up to 6.2) compared to 6.4 is the fact, that foundation/components/page does have a ResourceSuperType configured in 6.4. You might check if this somehow affects your components.

Community Advisor

Did we get any solution for the issue? Please share if you have found any, cause I'm also facing such issue upon clicking on the parsys:

I'm using AEM6.4.4 and we upgraded from 6.1.

1837301_pastedImage_0.png

Many thanks in advance.

Employee Advisor

403 Forbidden for any requests in the authoring UI look really suspicious. Can you post the complete request URL (a bit from the path is cut off in the screenshot, I am not interested in the blanked out part)?