Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Core components: headers in text comp vs title comp

Level 1

Are there any best practices about usage of the rich text editor in AEM. Should we be trying to minimize the usage of it, or allow our authors to use it as they see fit?

Looking at the core components, there is the title component, and then there is the text component. Within the text component it is very easy to add a title in the rich text editor with the correct header styling. So, if our authors could use the text component to create their headers, I question if they would ever bother using the title component.

• Should we be disabling the ability for our authors to add a title to the rich text component, and force them to use the title component?
  • Should we not make use of the title component and just have our authors always use the text component for making headers?
  • Is there any benefit to making both options available? Or, does that just cause more confusion?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The best practice of using the RTE is when you are using a text component and your authors need to enter text and style it - ie - use bold or underline text. I am not sure why you think an author would need to limit the use of the RTE when the requirement is to enter text into a site on Author.

You can create a header easily by using the RTE in the core text component. That is best practice -- see:

aheader.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

The best practice of using the RTE is when you are using a text component and your authors need to enter text and style it - ie - use bold or underline text. I am not sure why you think an author would need to limit the use of the RTE when the requirement is to enter text into a site on Author.

You can create a header easily by using the RTE in the core text component. That is best practice -- see:

aheader.png

Level 10

Hi,

Yes, Scott is right. The main use of RTE is when you use Text component and you can Style the text according to the Styles (Bold or Anchor or Underline) that you configure in RTE.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.