Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Converting a word file(.doc ,.docx) and excel file to PDF version

Level 4

We have a requirement to display the doc ,docx ,excel file in PDF version. For this ,I got idea from the reference link as below :
eaem-extensions/CreatePDFRendition.java at master · schoudry/eaem-extensions · GitHub

The code explains that we can add a process step in DAM update workflow and it will create a PDF version rendition for that particular asset.

I would like to have a similar thing for DOC,DOCX ,XLS,XLSX extension files .
Please help me for the above the requirement.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You need to build a custom AEM service that uses an API that can convert these doc types.

For example -- itext - Java:using apache POI how to convert ms word file to pdf? - Stack Overflow

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

You need to build a custom AEM service that uses an API that can convert these doc types.

For example -- itext - Java:using apache POI how to convert ms word file to pdf? - Stack Overflow

Level 4

Yes I tried to do using the below Classes :

PdfOptions options=null;

PdfConverter.getInstance().convert(document,out,options);
  with the correct dependency added in the POM  : fr.opensagres.poi.xwpf.converter.pdf .

It is throwing exception "NoClassDefinationFound" as it is trying to find the classes in com.adobe.granite.poi package.
I have provided the dependency artifact in Embed-Dependency as well . It didn't work for me.

Also the opensagres package related classes will work only with Apache poi 3.17 as per the below article.
apache - Docx to Pdf Converter in java - Stack Overflow

Here it is trying to pick POI references from AEM POI bundle but not from the one I specified as dependency in POM

1685220_pastedImage_6.png

Level 10

What is the scope of apache-poi dependency in your pom.xml and is that scope being mentioned in Import-Packages?

Can you validate if it is getting packaged/bundled with your source code bundle(within core bundle or the bundle that contains your pdf code)? 

It's probably not getting packaged or the maven-bundle-plugin configurations are not appropriate hence, the code is trying to pull the Felix dependencies rather than using the bundled dependencies.

If possible, could you share the pom.xml?

Level 10

I got this POI working to convert a DOC to PDF.

To make this work within AEM - you need to make sure that you include these JARs into AEM as OSGi bundles.

import java.io.File;

import java.io.FileInputStream;

import java.io.FileOutputStream;

import java.io.OutputStream;

import org.apache.poi.xwpf.converter.pdf.PdfConverter;

import org.apache.poi.xwpf.converter.pdf.PdfOptions;

import org.apache.poi.xwpf.usermodel.XWPFDocument;

public class TestCon {

public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {

String dd ="ww" ;

try {

String inputFile = "C:\\A\\Test.docx";

String outputFile = "C:\\A\\TEST.pdf";

if (args != null && args.length == 2) {

inputFile = args[0];

outputFile = args[1];

}

System.out.println("inputFile:" + inputFile + ",outputFile:" + outputFile);

FileInputStream in = new FileInputStream(inputFile);

XWPFDocument document = new XWPFDocument(in);

File outFile = new File(outputFile);

OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(outFile);

PdfOptions options = null;

PdfConverter.getInstance().convert(document, out, options);

}

catch(Exception e)

{

e.printStackTrace();

}

System.out.println("Done!!");

}

}

Level 10

ALso you can remove the version information from the Manifest file in the OSGi bundle. That way - AEM Picks up the available version and you will not have a version conflict.

I have got POI API working in Java, but have not tried it within an OSGi bundle yet.