Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

ConfigurationManager Reference is null

Level 2
import com.day.cq.wcm.webservicesupport.Configuration; import com.day.cq.wcm.webservicesupport.ConfigurationManager; @Component(immediate=true) public class Videos { private final Logger log = Logger.getLogger(Videos.class); private Configuration configuration; @Reference private ConfigurationManager cfgMgr; public void connectToService() { configuration = cfgMgr.getConfiguration("mycustomservice"); } }

cfgMgr is null. I wonder why is a reference variable null anyway. Are there any other methods to get it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

The problem doesn't have anything to do with this class. It has to do with how you are accessing this class or really the instance. You are creating a new instance of this class. Instead, you should use the instance created by DS.

You should not use getServiceReference() in a DS component except for very specific needs (which this is definitely not an example of).

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Level 10

Looks right to me. Are you sure cfgMgr is null OR calling configuration cfgMgr.getConfiguration("mycustomservice") is null.

Level 2

I am sure cfgMgr is null. I added a null check statement to find it out and it came out as null. Do you think I ran into any kind of bug here?

Level 10

That is a possibility - when you inject a ConfigurationManager - it should not be null. Sham - do you think a ticket should be opened?

Level 2

smacdonald2008 wrote...

That is a possibility - when you inject a ConfigurationManager - it should not be null. Sham - do you think a ticket should be opened?

So, is there another way of getting the ConfigurationManager without using Reference annotation? Please advise.

Level 10

It is not a bug & I can'ot reproduce the issue. Which version of AEM?  Are you seeing the configuration manager in your instance at http://localhost:4502/system/console/services

Otherway of getting is using bundlecontext getService method.

Level 2

Sham HC wrote...

It is not a bug & I can'ot reproduce the issue. Which version of AEM?  Are you seeing the configuration manager in your instance at http://localhost:4502/system/console/services

Otherway of getting is using bundlecontext getService method.

I am on CQ 5.5 I can see the service. 

[img]Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 3.38.46 PM.png[/img]

Level 2

Do I have to add the package cq-wcm-webservice-support as an exclusive dependency to the maven pom.xml? Can you please provide me a code snippet to retrieve the service from BundleContext?

Level 2
protected void activate(ComponentContext context) { BundleContext bundleContext = context.getBundleContext(); ServiceReference serviceReference = bundleContext.getServiceReference(ConfigurationManager.class.getName( )); ConfigurationManager cfgMgr = (ConfigurationManager) bundleContext.getService(serviceReference); }

In the above code also, I get cfgMgr as null. Sham, Can you please share the code that you have tested with?

Correct answer by
Employee

The problem doesn't have anything to do with this class. It has to do with how you are accessing this class or really the instance. You are creating a new instance of this class. Instead, you should use the instance created by DS.

You should not use getServiceReference() in a DS component except for very specific needs (which this is definitely not an example of).

Level 2

justin_at_adobe wrote...

Well, if I access the DS instance of the class using @Reference annotation it returns null.

Employee

bhavani IKKURTHI wrote...

justin_at_adobe wrote...

Well, if I access the DS instance of the class using @Reference annotation it returns null.

How are you getting the DS instance? Through the ScrService ?

Level 2

justin_at_adobe wrote...

justin_at_adobe wrote...

I am not following you. DS instance of what? ConfigurationManager class?

Employee

justin_at_adobe wrote...

justin_at_adobe wrote...

I am not following you. DS instance of what? ConfigurationManager class?

No. The Videos class.

You are doing this:

Videos videos = new Videos(); videos.connectToService()

This is a different instance of the Videos class than the one which is managed by the Declaritive Services (DS) runtime. Only the managed instance will have the fields injected. Any other instance of this class will not.