Expand my Community achievements bar.

CMS component WYSIWYG preview at page-level

Level 2

I am a content editor for multiple sites and they've now turned off page preview in edit mode for performance. This is understandable given the size of the organization and pages they manage, however it has considerably increased my pain and time efficiency. Meaning, all I see is component titles on any given page. While this is probably OK for simpler pages, one particular page is an accordion style documentation of images and text. I can use the content tree on the left to navigate SLIGHTLY better, but if there are dozens and dozens of components, its a painful process to find the exact one I need to edit (screen below).

Is there a way from the user end to turn on the preview for a single page, on the user end? Or, potentially from the admin side as I can have them grant this. Alternatively, is there a way to filter components by the content in which they contain? That way I could search based on an image file name, or a string of text?

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 4.02.03 PM.png

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

How did you disabled the preview option? using CSS or from config?

Arun Patidar

Level 2

To be clear, I can still click the `PREVIEW` button. However, it isn't usefully if I can't use it to select the component I want to edit.

My screenshot looks the way it does from the config side via the admin's tools which I am not.

Employee Advisor

Do I understand you correctly, that the "preview" button on the top right does not change the window to a preview?

Also I wonder about the content structure in this "page". Assuming that in the screenshot we just see a fraction of the components on the page, I don't wonder if this is getting slow. In my opinion this is getting to fine-grainded, and thus increases complexity unnecessarily.

Level 2

Sorry, I just got back to working on this.

You are correct, when I click `PREVIEW` the page turns blank and I can no longer see anything. But the actual PREVIEW isn't the problem, its that in EDIT mode I can't see anything but component names and hierarchy. Just a lot of scrolling and guessing with clicks.

As for it being to fine grained... I agree and think that they've constructed the page the wrong way. They've separated paragraphs as separate TEXT EDITOR components within one `panel`.

It looks like my task may be reorganizing the content to be less complex and easier to edit later.