Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Cloud manager: Different FrontEnd parameters for Stage and Prod?

Level 7

hi folks,

I'm moving to Cloud Manager. I know how to have different OSGI config files for stage, prod and dev.

But my ui.frontend Javascript also has different parameters for dev, stage and prod.

I can make put different npm build commands in the package.json.

However, in the POM file, I need to be able to use Profiles to have different commands for Prod and Stage.

However, I don't seem to be able to do that. Is there another way around this? There are some environment variables like PIPELINE_ID etc. Are there ones that will distinguish between Prod and Stage.?

How do people normally do it.

thanks

Fiona

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

you can pass custom variables to pipe line using API call to pipeline.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-manager/using/getting-started/creat...

Ideally there should not be any 2 different build process for stage and prod . For dispatcher you might need to maintain apache system variables unique to environments. But the dispatcher code needs to be same on stage and production.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 1

you can pass custom variables to pipe line using API call to pipeline.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-manager/using/getting-started/creat...

Ideally there should not be any 2 different build process for stage and prod . For dispatcher you might need to maintain apache system variables unique to environments. But the dispatcher code needs to be same on stage and production.

Level 7

Thanks!

I was hoping not to have to use the API, just the UI at the start.

Just to get it clear in my head

In my POM file, for the frontend-maven-plugin, 

<plugin>
<groupId>com.github.eirslett</groupId>
<artifactId>frontend-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>npm run stag or prod</id>
<phase>generate-resources</phase>
<goals>
<goal>npm</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<arguments>run <VARIABLE HERE!!!> </arguments>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>

Then somehow I can ensure that the <VARIABLE> is "stag" in the Staging part of the pipeline and "prod" in the Production part ?

thanks in advance!!

Level 7
Thanks, I understand now that the Prod environment is supposed to use the same build artefacts as the stage environment. So I won't be able to build my frontend SPA apps with environment specific files. I'll have to think of something else.