Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Client code for cq:layout=auto

Level 4

I would like to use cq:layout="auto" in my component's edit config.  https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-5/developing/components/edit_config.html#cq:layout

The documentation states that auto allows the client code to determine if it should be editbar or rollover, but I can't find any documentation or literature on how to achieve this.  

Could anybody provide sample code or links to help?  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

I heard back from internal Adobe ppl. They stated: 

I think in that particular context, the “client side code” being referred to is the AEM page editor client-side code, not anything a customer would create. If the component developer specifies “auto” they’re basically telling the page editor to choose whatever layout it wants.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 10

You can configure the component’s edit behavior by adding a node of type cq:EditConfig below a given AEM component. You determine the component’s behavior by setting child nodes or properties.

In this case - cq:layout is a prop of  cq:EditConfig -- not a child node. 

See the section "Configuring the Edit Behavior" in this article for information on how to set the cq:EditConfig nodes as part of  CQ component development. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/creating-aem-multifield-components.html

Hope this helps... 

Level 10

I have changed my component by adding a prop (to /apps/nook/components/content/hero/cq:editConfig)  named cq:layout and assigning the value:  editbar.  

Result is -- 

Level 10

At first - i though you were asking how to set cq:layout. However - now I see what you meant. You want to know how to set client code to use auto for this property. You are correct - there are no details on this. I will investigate. . 

Level 4

Thanks, but I am familiar with setting the cq:layout to editbar.  

My question is specifically about setting the layout to auto.  The documentation describes auto as "The choice is left to the client side code".  I interpret this as meaning that the choice between editbar and rollover is made at page render time, determined by some client code (JSP/JavaScript/something else?).  I am looking for an example or documentation for the "client code" that would dictate which layout to use.

EDIT: you beat me to it.  Sorry, I didn't see your last message until after I submitted.

Level 10

I have logged a doc bug. You are correct - there is missing information on this subject. The docs need to state how the client code makes that choice and if required - what code needs to be set in the component code. 

Level 4

Thanks Scott.  Do you know what the turn around time is for this type of request?

Level 10

I have senr email to internal adobe ppl. Waiting to hear back.

Correct answer by
Level 10

I heard back from internal Adobe ppl. They stated: 

I think in that particular context, the “client side code” being referred to is the AEM page editor client-side code, not anything a customer would create. If the component developer specifies “auto” they’re basically telling the page editor to choose whatever layout it wants.

Level 4

Thank you, Scott.  That's unfortunate, but it's an answer.