Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Can VisualVM profiling be used with AEM?

Level 5

Every time I turn the profiler on it hangs. I can't get responses back from my searches. I set up visualVM as per the standard Oracle docs (Java VisualVM) and connected to my AEM (author) instance and turn profiling on but whenever I make a request, it simply hangs.

Has any one used VisualVM profiling with AEM successfully? Is there anything special that I need to do?

7 Replies

Level 10

It should work per Monitoring and Maintaining Your AEM instance

Try this: java - VisualVM Calibration Step Hangs with Windows 10 - Stack Overflow

The solution is to start VisualVM from command-line using:

jvisualvm.exe "-J-Dorg.netbeans.profiler.separateConsole=true"

Level 5

I'm actually running on OS X not Windows 10. I tried your suggestion anyway and it doesn't seem to help. Still hangs.

Level 10

Try this to see the errors (if any) in terminal

jvisualvm "-J-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true"

Level 5

Not really. There is some start up logging (application classpath, etc). When I attempt to profile the application, I just get this:

INFO [org.netbeans.ui.metrics.profiler]: Profiler Attach

INFO [org.netbeans.ui.metrics.profiler]: Profiler Settings

WARNING [javax.management.remote.misc]: Failed to check the connection: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Level 1

As per Monitoring and Management Using JMX Technology - Java SEMonitoring and Management Guide -

Password authentication for remote monitoring is enabled by default. To disable it, set the following system property when you start the Java VM.

You could either try - -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

or provide password using -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file

Couple of references -

Level 5

I tried that option but it still hangs when I try to start profiling.

Community Advisor

Dear J,

Just tried connecting from Windows 10(latest update from Microsoft) to AEM 6.4 SP2 with

java version "1.8.0_201"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_201-b09)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)

and visualvm_142 works like magic.

When starting both AEM and visual_vm make sure you have sufficient permissions to run both applications. As some corporate laptops are locked from doing even basic functionality.

win10.PNG

Regards,

Peter