Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Can VisualVM profiling be used with AEM?

Level 5

Every time I turn the profiler on it hangs. I can't get responses back from my searches. I set up visualVM as per the standard Oracle docs (Java VisualVM) and connected to my AEM (author) instance and turn profiling on but whenever I make a request, it simply hangs.

Has any one used VisualVM profiling with AEM successfully? Is there anything special that I need to do?

7 Replies

Level 10

It should work per Monitoring and Maintaining Your AEM instance

Try this: java - VisualVM Calibration Step Hangs with Windows 10 - Stack Overflow

The solution is to start VisualVM from command-line using:

jvisualvm.exe "-J-Dorg.netbeans.profiler.separateConsole=true"

Level 5

I'm actually running on OS X not Windows 10. I tried your suggestion anyway and it doesn't seem to help. Still hangs.

Level 10

Try this to see the errors (if any) in terminal

jvisualvm "-J-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true"

Level 5

Not really. There is some start up logging (application classpath, etc). When I attempt to profile the application, I just get this:

INFO [org.netbeans.ui.metrics.profiler]: Profiler Attach

INFO [org.netbeans.ui.metrics.profiler]: Profiler Settings

WARNING [javax.management.remote.misc]: Failed to check the connection: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Level 1

As per Monitoring and Management Using JMX Technology - Java SEMonitoring and Management Guide -

Password authentication for remote monitoring is enabled by default. To disable it, set the following system property when you start the Java VM.

You could either try - -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

or provide password using -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file

Couple of references -

Level 5

I tried that option but it still hangs when I try to start profiling.

Community Advisor

Dear J,

Just tried connecting from Windows 10(latest update from Microsoft) to AEM 6.4 SP2 with

java version "1.8.0_201"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_201-b09)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.201-b09, mixed mode)

and visualvm_142 works like magic.

When starting both AEM and visual_vm make sure you have sufficient permissions to run both applications. As some corporate laptops are locked from doing even basic functionality.

win10.PNG

Regards,

Peter