Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Can I share components across two Sites?

Level 2

Hello

I'm pretty new to AEM, so this question may have been asked before...but here goes.
My employer already uses an AEM Instance for a website that's already live, but it only services a particular customer type (Website 1). As part of their journey to improve customer experience, they want to use AEM to service a different customer type (Website 2). They've asked if it's possible to share already existing components across both Website 1 and 2 and to do this, will it require involvement of an AEM Developer. Or is this simply down to the permissions given to components when they're first created? I have researched this, and from what I've read it is only an AEM Developer than can enable the sharing of components across more than one website, but I can't say I've found a definitive answer to my questions. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @simirving ,
If both the websites are hosted on same server, no new development is needed. You just need to enable the component for the templates that is being used in the new website. For editable template: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrBr0a-jpI

For static templates, which is very old, you have to go to design more and from there you can add the component. No new development is needed. Only configuration would suffice.

Level 2

Hello @Anish-Sinha Amazing! Thanks for your prompt reply. So when it comes to enabling the components, is this Dev only, or is dependent on how my employer has set up permissions? I will take a look at the YouTube link you've shared. Thank you.

Employee Advisor

Usually this is done by content authors/ business users on prod. But on dev servers dev team could do. On prod,  dev wont have much access. But to be specific this is not development task

Level 2

@Anish-Sinha thanks again for helping me with this. The video you shared has been helpful, but after following the steps within it, I got as far as 2min 39sec. Selecting additional components to add to a page did not work for me. Might this be down to permissions set by an Admin or similar? Thanks

Employee Advisor

Thats right. That could be related to permission, if you cannot click on ok. Check the logs to see exact reason. But mostly it is permission.

Employee Advisor

I would request you consider one more point here. In future if either one of customer might ask you add some additional feature or do some enhancement as per their need in that case you must need some plan to satisfy both customer without breaking the existing functionality. 

Please talk to your architect and customer first and ask questions and make a plan accordingly.