Expand my Community achievements bar.

Boolean search error in AEM 6.5.12.0 DAM

Level 2

Hi,

I need to search for assets that meet various criteria, such as having either of two tags, using Boolean search options. I follow the below steps and get a -1 error message.

1. In Adobe Experience Manager Assets, click the search icon
2. Enter a search string using Boolean operators (Eg; Ocean OR Mountain)
3. Upon submitting, AEM will return of “-1 of -1” result

Has anyone experienced this error? Please suggest possible solutions. Thanks! 

Thanks,

Nikhila

6 Replies

Level 3

Hi @NikhilaB 

I'm not able to reproduce this error. Can you provide the exact string you are trying? For me it is showing different results with "or" and "OR" with and without quotes for the individual terms etc.

My guess would it should be how the search query is formatted while trying to search for it.

You can take a look at this recording for troubleshooting search issues - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-learn/foundation/troubleshooting/how-t...

Level 2

NikhilaB_0-1714577113229.png

This is what I get. I ensured that I have assets with these names in the DAM before I performed the search. For Boolean search, you have to give "AND"/"OR" in all caps for it to work. 

Thank you for sharing the recording. I will take a look.

Level 3

I tried multiple variations but unable to reproduce this issue on my end.  All I see is the no results found message

"Sorry, we couldn't find any results for Emma OR Natalie

Make sure all the words are spelled correctly, try to refine your keywords or clear the enabled filter"

Level 4

Hi @NikhilaB ,

Encountering a "-1 of -1" result in Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) Assets search can be frustrating, but it's not an uncommon issue. Here are a few potential solutions you can try to resolve this problem:

1. Check Search Index: The most common reason for getting a "-1 of -1" result is an issue with the search index. Ensure that the search index is up to date and functioning properly. You can rebuild the search index in AEM to resolve any indexing issues.

2. Verify Permissions: Make sure that the user performing the search has the necessary permissions to access and search for assets in AEM. Check the user's permissions and ensure they have the appropriate access rights.

3. Review Query Syntax: Double-check the syntax of your Boolean search query to ensure it is correct. The correct syntax for your example query ("Ocean OR Mountain") should work, but it's worth verifying to rule out any syntax errors.

4. Try Different Keywords: Sometimes, the issue might be specific to certain keywords or combinations of keywords. Try using different keywords or simplifying your search query to see if you get a valid result.

5. Check for Known Issues: Check Adobe's official documentation and support forums for any known issues or bugs related to search functionality in the version of AEM you are using (6.5.12.0). There might be specific workarounds or fixes available for your issue.

6. Contact Adobe Support: If you're unable to resolve the issue on your own, consider reaching out to Adobe Support for assistance. They can provide further troubleshooting steps and guidance tailored to your specific environment and configuration.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the "-1 of -1" error in AEM Assets search. If the issue persists, contacting Adobe Support would be the best course of action for further assistance.

Level 2

Thank you for the detailed response. I was able to find through the elimination method that giving access to the path var/dam/content resolved the issue. I don't know what this path is intended for or what additional features it would permit. But I am hoping it will not break any existing capabilities or accesses. Do you have any insight on what this path is intended for?

Level 3

@NikhilaB 

Here is an earlier community question which shares insight on the path.

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/how-does-an-asset-that-i-u...

Here is the quick answer from the community question:

• In AEM, the /var/dam path is a virtual mapping that represents the assets stored in the /content/dam location. It does not mirror the entire folder structure of /content/dam. Instead, it provides optimized access to assets through dynamically generated URLs.
  • Therefore, /var/dam virtual mapping is primarily used for serving assets to the frontend, dynamically generating URLs, and optimizing performance. It doesn't reflect the exact folder structure within /content/dam. To access assets programmatically, you should primarily interact with the /content/dam location using the appropriate APIs, such as the AssetManager.
  •