Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Block attacks to AEM servlets

Level 10

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows ways to block requests to AEM servlets ? There are attacks to servlets registered at paths say /bin with parameters that are invalid leading to query within the system

i can think of ways to validate the values and then let the process but should we move to options like registering by sling resource types to avoid attacks or block domains via dispatcher or so ? 
does registering servlet via resource type for GET method help avert security vulnerability ? 

seeking ideas  

regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What we have in our project is protection against this kind of attack at AKAMAI, if there are many request from same IP in a short time, we block the IP/user.(There are policies to handle this kind of securities measures at Load balancer or at CDN level)

Yes change to resource type will not help, but it is a best practice to register servlet using resourceType instead of Path.

Arun Patidar

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

registering a servlet thru resourceType is always a best practice as you can easily manage the access to that content but sometime we need to have servlet registered with path in such a case you can secure it on dispatcher filter.

Hope this helps

Umesh Thakur

Level 10

@Rohit_Utreja @Umesh_Thakur  Thanks, i literally think of proceeding with resourcetype but wouldn't this lead to the same issue knowing that that  resource type for instance is accessible with query params will be passed, and read access is allowed? Unless ofcourse suggestion is to use service resolver via system user account?

Community Advisor

Hi @NitroHazeDev 

It is recommended to use sling servlet by resource type.

But, in some case we do need to use a servlet by path based on the use-case. In this case, 

When a servlet has been registered by resource type, AEM's OOTB access control mechanism plays a critical role.

Whereas, when registered a servlet by path, security is the major concern. However,  AEM provides multiple security features including CSRF protection.

Community Advisor

Besides servlets, you should also protect pages if someone hits them with query parameters.

In this case, DDoS protection and other blocking requests can be helpful.

To avoid hitting the publisher if someone uses query param, you can handle this by removing query param for undesire urls using Apache rewrite rules.

Arun Patidar

Level 10

@arunpatidar  Thanks, but in this case, we do have query params and the security concern is unwanted values in query params leading to query traversal. i can think of validating the query param coming in prior to request being processed but is there any other way?

Community Advisor

You can't check anything else as part of request. Everything else can be forged/mimik to make those requests.

Better to implement DDOS protection (Block IPs if there are many request in short time of frame)

Arun Patidar

Level 10

@arunpatidar  thanks.. when you say implement DDOS, is it blocking  IPs and domains that you speak of post monitoring?  Kindly provide an eg if you have

Also, i dont believe the change to resource type will help, would it?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What we have in our project is protection against this kind of attack at AKAMAI, if there are many request from same IP in a short time, we block the IP/user.(There are policies to handle this kind of securities measures at Load balancer or at CDN level)

Yes change to resource type will not help, but it is a best practice to register servlet using resourceType instead of Path.

Arun Patidar