Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Best Way to Sort a List of Resources ?

Former Community Member

Hi everyone,

As you all probably know im new to CQ.

I have been looking over the APIs, and was wondering what the best solution is to sort a list of Resources.

My current snippet is :

Iterator<Resource> myResources = res.listChildren(); while (myResources.hasNext()) { Resource resource = myResources.next(); String name = resource.getName(); LOGGER.info("The node found is = " + name); }

So what I need to do is sort the resources by name before I loop?  Do I need a custom comparator for this or is there something in the CQ APIs that will do the job? 

I.e it would be nice to use Collections.sort etc...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I would use Collections.sort() and a custom comparator that sorts based on the Resource name (or whatever sorting logic you want). It wouldn't be appropriate, in my opinion, for Sling to sort those resources for you. It should be returning that list of resources in their natural order within the repository. This order may be the result of the order in which they were added, most recent at the bottom. They may have a specific order, as do some nodes in the JCR if their parent specifies that they are orderable. 

An alternative is that you could perform a JCR query, which I'm pretty sure would allow you to order the results. This would probably be a poorly performant way to go for what you're doing, however.

I'm not sure why you need to sort a list or Resource objects, but be aware that at an application level, that natural order may have specific meaning.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I would use Collections.sort() and a custom comparator that sorts based on the Resource name (or whatever sorting logic you want). It wouldn't be appropriate, in my opinion, for Sling to sort those resources for you. It should be returning that list of resources in their natural order within the repository. This order may be the result of the order in which they were added, most recent at the bottom. They may have a specific order, as do some nodes in the JCR if their parent specifies that they are orderable. 

An alternative is that you could perform a JCR query, which I'm pretty sure would allow you to order the results. This would probably be a poorly performant way to go for what you're doing, however.

I'm not sure why you need to sort a list or Resource objects, but be aware that at an application level, that natural order may have specific meaning.

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----