Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Best secure way way to store credentials in AEM

Level 2

Hi All,

I want to save some credentials(assessKey/SecretId) for some third-party authentication, But not want to save in code or config files as it will be visible to all developers. 

I saw one blog  where the credentials get store as java System properties variables in start.bat script file like below 

maddy_23_0-1689188969888.png

and try to assess it in code using BundleContext.getProperty("aws.accessKeyId").

I want to know 

1. Is it good way to store the credentials.

2. I tried the same but not able to retrieve using below code. Demo is my SlingModel class. it returns null only

FrameworkUtil.getBundle(Demo.class).getBundleContext().getProperty("aws.accessKey");

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @maddy_23 

Here is a way to store sensitive data store into the system using Crypto Support.

Process 1:

AsifChowdhury_0-1689243083735.png

From “http://localhost:4502/system/console/crypto” we can write plain text and by clicking “protect” we will get a protected text.

NB: According to documentation, after 6.3 this value “plain text” & “protected text” will store in "/crx-quickstart/launchpad/felix/bundle<Id>/data" in the file system. To find the id we have to look for the bundle id of this "/system/console/bundles/com.adobe.granite.crypto.file"

AsifChowdhury_1-1689243227514.png

We can use this protected text in the appConfigurationService file.

AsifChowdhury_2-1689243279063.png

When we call for that we will get the plain text.

Process 2:

-> We have CryptoSupport interface from “com.adobe.granite.crypto.CryptoSupport

-> We can get protected text by “protectedText = cryptoSupport.protect(plainText)

-> We can set that “protectedText” into config file

-> When we call for any value we have to unprotect that value to get the plain text. We can do this by “plainText = cryptoSupport.unprotect(protectedText)

NB: Tested it with a servlet with some request parameters. We can maintain a separate file for the plain texts and only store the protected texts in configuration files.

Every time CryptoSupport will generate a unique protected text.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

@maddy_23 ,

Not sure about the very best way, but I would create an OSGI service with required fields to save the configuration.

You may use "passwordValue" as the property annotation parameter to obscure the password from plain sight.

@Property(label="password", description="user password", passwordValue=DEFAULT_PASSWORD )
public static final String PASSWORD = "xxx.password";

Putting it all together:

1) Create an OSGI service with required text and password fields.

2) Get instance of this OSGI service in Sling Model/Servlet/Another Service.

3) Don't create a config.xml file under runmodes for this OSGI service.

4) You have to configure this service in each Author/Publish instance.

Note: This approach may not work in AEM as CS.

Level 2

@Sudheer_Sundalam  This is not recommended as we have update credential from configMgr console. 

Community Advisor

Hello @maddy_23 -

You are correct! Storing sensitive credentials, such as access keys or secret IDs, in code or config files is generally not recommended because it exposes them to all developers and potential security risks.

Recommended ApproachStoring credentials as environment variables is generally considered a better practice than hard-coding them in code or config files.

AEM as a Cloud Service : 

https://medium.com/slalom-technology/how-to-use-environment-variables-in-adobe-experience-manager-ae... 

AEM on-premise : 

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/what-s-the-correct-way-of-... 

Additionally,

The code you provided attempts to retrieve the value of the property "aws.accessKey" using the BundleContext.getProperty() method. However, it seems you have a typo in the property name. In the start.bat file screenshot you shared, the property is defined as "aws.accessKeyId," but in your code, you're trying to retrieve it as "aws.accessKey."

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Tanika  

Level 2

Thank you @Tanika02

The screenshot I uploaded is from the blog. I set same "aws.accessKey" in my start.bat file. Apologies for the confusion. 

Its not retrieving with FrameworkUtil.getBundle(Demo.class).getBundleContext().getProperty("aws.accessKey"); . getProperty is not static method, so I can't use BundleContext.getProperty(). Any suggestions.

Community Advisor

You can use secret variables in AEMaaCS.

Community Advisor

Hello @maddy_23 

For On-premise, AEM provides feature that allows OSGi configuration properties to be stored in a protected encrypted form instead of clear text. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/administering/security/encryption-supp...

On-AaaCS, please use the "Secret Environment Variable". It can be set via Cloud manager

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/implementing/using-...

Aanchal Sikka

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @maddy_23 

Here is a way to store sensitive data store into the system using Crypto Support.

Process 1:

AsifChowdhury_0-1689243083735.png

From “http://localhost:4502/system/console/crypto” we can write plain text and by clicking “protect” we will get a protected text.

NB: According to documentation, after 6.3 this value “plain text” & “protected text” will store in "/crx-quickstart/launchpad/felix/bundle<Id>/data" in the file system. To find the id we have to look for the bundle id of this "/system/console/bundles/com.adobe.granite.crypto.file"

AsifChowdhury_1-1689243227514.png

We can use this protected text in the appConfigurationService file.

AsifChowdhury_2-1689243279063.png

When we call for that we will get the plain text.

Process 2:

-> We have CryptoSupport interface from “com.adobe.granite.crypto.CryptoSupport

-> We can get protected text by “protectedText = cryptoSupport.protect(plainText)

-> We can set that “protectedText” into config file

-> When we call for any value we have to unprotect that value to get the plain text. We can do this by “plainText = cryptoSupport.unprotect(protectedText)

NB: Tested it with a servlet with some request parameters. We can maintain a separate file for the plain texts and only store the protected texts in configuration files.

Every time CryptoSupport will generate a unique protected text.