Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Bad Request: Size of a request header field exceeds server limit

Level 3

Hi All,

We are seeing a series of 400 Bad Reqeusts while accessing the site in different environments(Dev, QA, PROD). I'm trying to increase the request header size using LimitRequestFieldSize 16384. Ours is a multi-tenant application and I added this config to a tenant-specific vhost file. It is not picking this configuration and I still see 400 even after making this change.

I tried using LimitRequestLine 16384 but that didn't work as well. Can you please let me know if there's any additional configuration that we need to make to increase the Header size limit?

Below is the tenant-specific vhost file where I added the entry

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName site.com

# Increasing the HTTP Request Header Size
LimitRequestFieldSize 16384

Thanks in advance for the help.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @manasabojja7 

If the header size because of any reason is larger then the default one, then the configuration needs to be increased at AEM instance also along with Apache configurations.

You need to increase size  "Header Buffer Size" property for "Apache Felix Jetty Based Http Service” in “/system/console/configMgr” for all production publishers. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Nupur

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Can you check the dispatcher log for such request. It will clearly mention which header field you need to update with. Do you have Akamai as well on your instance? If yes try updating it. Normally Akamai has default request header size as 32kb but Apache has 8 kb. 
can you check if your tenant specific vhost file is working in your configuration

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Try to first identify where this limitation is occurring. It could be at the CDN or dispatcher level. Adjust accordingly based on your findings. If this is Apache, it appears that your configuration is set correctly. I would recommend checking the logs as well.

Esteban Bustamante

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @manasabojja7 

If the header size because of any reason is larger then the default one, then the configuration needs to be increased at AEM instance also along with Apache configurations.

You need to increase size  "Header Buffer Size" property for "Apache Felix Jetty Based Http Service” in “/system/console/configMgr” for all production publishers. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Nupur