Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

AEM MSM rollout configuration - can I exclude pages based on a content Tag?

Level 2

I was wondering if there is a way I can configured a custom rollout configuration only to rollout and update pages based on a Tag value that has been assigned.  I have looked through a lot of documentation and not seen this as a scenario.

Also, another option could be to try and leverage Package Manager but the same thing applies here, I see no way with the out of the box admin tools to create a package that is able to filter out or select pages based on the presence and value of a content Tag set within pae properties.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Its possible but not very straight forward - You can write custom synchronization action and add it to a custom roll out config. That action can have the logic of copying the content only when a particular tag is set on the page properties. Basically you will have to write custom content update/delete/copy actions. 

By the way what is your use case. I could not understand how package manager is an alternate option. If you want to filter out all the pages which have a particular tag or may be create a package of those pages then you can use the Query Packager tool provided by AEM ACS team - http://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/query-packager.html

Level 2

I was trying to create exactly this rollout and update scenario where a particular tag is set within the page properties.  i believe within the update/copy actions, i have to define this as a condition within the custom node properties of this action i am defining with CRX (etc/msm/rolloutconfigs).  can you illustrate how the dependency would be written here to say "copy" a page as part of rollout buyt only when the page had a tag that said "RolloutAllowed".

The use case I am addressing is where we are we have a MSM configuration with a series of international websites where we rollout using live copies from the US site into various country sites.  the webmaster here wants to device a way where she might simplify her ongoing rollout and syncing tasks.  Node exclusions will not work here, so the idea was to tag the pages with countries that will use it and then allow the rollout and live copy syncing actions take control from there.

Does this makes sense?  Oh, and thank you very much for you quick reply (and being the general answer I wanted to hear!).

Level 2

Hey, I just wanted to follow-up to see if I could get a little more clarification here because within the support documentation, a very specific question like this is hard to find use cases for.  I have admin access in AEM site admin as well as through CRX Lite.  I do not have deeper access within our webserver where the services reside.  

I was hoping there was a way too stipulation a condition/rule within CRX where I define the copy and update action nodes for a custom rollout configuration. Can this be done here or does it require changes inside the actual services (java class updates)?

Employee Advisor

It definitely will require custom java code. The simpler solution I could think for this use case could be that you apply the rollout configuration on the live copy node dynamically as and when the tag is added to that node. You can either implement a custom workflow launcher or write a custom page modification event handler which will update the page properties by adding the custom roll out configuration. 

Level 10

"support documentation, a very specific question like this is hard to find use cases for"

although we do not have this use case - we have many community articles based on specific use cases (and use AEM APIs) in the AEM community page: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/marketing-cloud/experience-manager.html