Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

AEM Editable Templates, how to add properties such as allowedChildren, allowedParents, allowedPaths

Level 7

I have seen documentation that only explains allowedChildren, allowedParents, allowedPaths as properties can be set on STATIC templates. How about editable templates. Where can I add these properties? Can it be done in Touch UI?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @AEMWizard,

I've tested this out myself, and It seems like the "allowedChildren" property is the only respected rule for editable templates, with templates that exist under the default repository structure of /conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/* (cq:template) nodes. Even the latest service pack 6.4.3.7, "allowedParents" and "allowedPaths" is not working as expected.

What does the "allowedChildren" property under the cq:Template node do? The value set should be the paths of a template that is allowed to be a child of this template.

If you wish to use editable templates with the "allowedChildren", follow the instructions below. 

1. Configure cq:allowedTemplates:
    Within CRX/DE, In your site content structure of /content/my-site/jcr:content, add property of String[] cq:allowedTemplates to "/conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/.*". This will enable and allow all editable templates under the set path to be used on page creation under the path of /content/my-site. Since "allowedParents" and "allowedPaths" are not working as expected for editable templates, this may be the only way to enable editable templates for your site structure.
  2. Configure "allowedChildren":
    Within CRX/DE under /conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/templateA (should be a cq:Template), add the property of String[] allowedChildren to "PATH_OF_YOUR_TEMPLATE". The value set should be the paths of a template that is allowed to be a child of this template.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @AEMWizard,

I've tested this out myself, and It seems like the "allowedChildren" property is the only respected rule for editable templates, with templates that exist under the default repository structure of /conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/* (cq:template) nodes. Even the latest service pack 6.4.3.7, "allowedParents" and "allowedPaths" is not working as expected.

What does the "allowedChildren" property under the cq:Template node do? The value set should be the paths of a template that is allowed to be a child of this template.

If you wish to use editable templates with the "allowedChildren", follow the instructions below. 

1. Configure cq:allowedTemplates:
    Within CRX/DE, In your site content structure of /content/my-site/jcr:content, add property of String[] cq:allowedTemplates to "/conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/.*". This will enable and allow all editable templates under the set path to be used on page creation under the path of /content/my-site. Since "allowedParents" and "allowedPaths" are not working as expected for editable templates, this may be the only way to enable editable templates for your site structure.
  2. Configure "allowedChildren":
    Within CRX/DE under /conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/templateA (should be a cq:Template), add the property of String[] allowedChildren to "PATH_OF_YOUR_TEMPLATE". The value set should be the paths of a template that is allowed to be a child of this template.

I hope this helps.

Community Advisor

@BrianKasingli  can you please try to add properties in initial instead of structure

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

Arun,

Arun, I added "allowedPaths" to the/conf/my-site/settings/wcm/templates/templateA/initial/jcr:content (cq:PageContent); does not work. allowedParents" and "allowedPaths" is not working as expected for editable templates.

Community Advisor
Thanks for checking @BrianKasingli, I will have a look.

Arun Patidar

Level 3

Are there any updates on how to set allowedChildren for Editable Templates? Thanks.

Level 3

Setting allowedChildren String[] property has no effect on 6.5.11.0

Level 7

Hi @BrianKasingli

Thanks for your reply. I tried the following but it did not work.

For the home template in its content.xml I defined allowedChildren= "[.*/productOverview]"

For the productOverview  template in its content.xml I defined allowedParent= "[.*/home]"

anasustic_0-1705656140526.png

We run AEM 6.5.19