Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM as a Cloud Service – Q&A with Adobe and Should You Migrate Now? | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

AEM as a Cloud Service – Q&A with Adobe and Should You Migrate Now? by TAD REEVES - jetteroheller dot com

Abstract

Without a doubt, AEM as a Cloud Service is the most massive change that has happened in the world of Adobe Experience Manager / CQ in the last decade, and certainly the one that has the most people talking. Like you, I’ve had my fair share of questions on how this will impact existing AEM customers, and how this will impact decisions of where AEM workloads of different types should be planned to run (both near-term and long-term).

Thankfully, following the release, I’ve gotten a chance to talk to a few of the Adobe engineers and product leads who’ve worked hard over the last two years on AEM as a Cloud Service, including the Product Manager for the AEM as a Cloud Service project, as well as man behind the Assets Compute Service as well as updates to the AEM Desktop App. They are both amazingly smart folks who are passionate about the AEM developer and user experience, and I’m grateful for their time to answer my many questions.

And now that I’ve gotten this first round of my questions answered (and pound away at AEM as a Cloud Service instances in the meantime), I wanted to pass those first answers on.

Some answers below came directly from the Adobe fellows mentioned above, others from documentation that Adobe has now posted. Please fire at will with any other questions you’ve got too!

What Infrastructure does AEM as a Cloud Service Run On?
AEM as a Cloud Service presently runs on Azure only, with three different Azure regions presently live. There are short-term plans in the works to bring the service to a number of other Azure regions (including Switzerland for the notoriously data-residency-aware Swiss business customers I’ve worked with), as well as eventually to AWS as well. But right now it’s on Azure.

Will there be an AEM 6.6 Release for On-Premise Customers?
At this point, the answer I’ve gotten from everyone is a hard no – at least not in the next year. At this point, the last planned full self-host or on-premise AEM release is AEM 6.5, and there will be service packs planned 2X/year for patches and minor feature updates. All major new features, however, are planned for AEM as a Cloud Service going forward.

Read Full Blog

AEM as a Cloud Service – Q&A with Adobe and Should You Migrate Now?

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies