Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.
SOLVED

AEM 6.5 Upgrade to 6.5.7 CFP Causing Unresponsive Instances

Level 5

We've recently upgraded AEM from 6.5.5 to 6.5.7 (didn't install 6.5.6) - running on Ubuntu 18.04.5, Java 11.

We have been pretty consistent the last 8-9 months after making some performance adjustments in migrating from 6.3 windows to 6.5 Unbuntu.  Rarely having to restart.  However, since we've upgraded from SP 6.5.5 to 6.5.7 (we bipassed 6.5.6 - which SHOULDN'T matter), we've noticed really poor performance, author instance needing restarts nearly every 2-3 days and publish instances 5-6 days because of becoming unresponsive.  No heap dumps or OutOfMemory exceptions.

I'm just wondering if anybody else might know of any obvious reasons this could be happening before I bog myself down in a sea of heapdumps and threaddumps.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sdouglasmc we also got the same package from Adobe, it resolved our issue.

Notes from adobe:

Checking the thread dumps and further researching internally, It seems you are running into a known issue(CQ-4312194) with SP7 where numerous threads get blocked due to a Timer with the Component Registry (org.apache.felix.scr.impl.ComponentRegistry). This causes the instance to become unresponsive.

• Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
    - Install the attached hotfix package
    - This will trigger a restart of a couple of bundles. So, need to wait 3-5 mins
    - Go to <host>:<port>/system/console and make sure the "org.apache.felix.scr" version is updated to 2.1.20

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Level 2
After installation of this fix, I haven't observed the deadlock anymore.

Level 3

@sdouglasmc is there any resolution or solution on this issue? we are also facing the same issue in our Prod environment.

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sdouglasmc we also got the same package from Adobe, it resolved our issue.

Notes from adobe:

Checking the thread dumps and further researching internally, It seems you are running into a known issue(CQ-4312194) with SP7 where numerous threads get blocked due to a Timer with the Component Registry (org.apache.felix.scr.impl.ComponentRegistry). This causes the instance to become unresponsive.

• Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
    - Install the attached hotfix package
    - This will trigger a restart of a couple of bundles. So, need to wait 3-5 mins
    - Go to <host>:<port>/system/console and make sure the "org.apache.felix.scr" version is updated to 2.1.20

Administrator
Thank you for sharing this with community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1
@narayana_chirra can you provide the hotfix package as we are also facing the same issue.

Level 3

@rahuldeou

I would recommend, It would be better if you check with Adobe by raising a ticket rather than getting a package from me and trying as this package is not open-source yet.

That being said, someone mentioned in the comments 

"For those who haven't updated to 6.5.7 yet, Adobe has a new SP7 installation package with Hotfix-CQ-4312194-FELIX-6252 included in it. Makes upgrade faster and more stable. This is not publicly available (yet) but you can probably ask for it in a ticket."

Level 2

For those who haven't updated to 6.5.7 yet, Adobe has a new SP7 installation package with Hotfix-CQ-4312194-FELIX-6252 included in it. Makes upgrade faster and more stable. This is not publicly available (yet) but you can probably ask for it in a ticket.

Administrator
@Jakub_G Thank you for sharing this with community. Keep assisting others here.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Great article, thanks !

Is this package available publicly now ?