Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.5 Upgrade to 6.5.7 CFP Causing Unresponsive Instances

Level 5

We've recently upgraded AEM from 6.5.5 to 6.5.7 (didn't install 6.5.6) - running on Ubuntu 18.04.5, Java 11.

We have been pretty consistent the last 8-9 months after making some performance adjustments in migrating from 6.3 windows to 6.5 Unbuntu.  Rarely having to restart.  However, since we've upgraded from SP 6.5.5 to 6.5.7 (we bipassed 6.5.6 - which SHOULDN'T matter), we've noticed really poor performance, author instance needing restarts nearly every 2-3 days and publish instances 5-6 days because of becoming unresponsive.  No heap dumps or OutOfMemory exceptions.

I'm just wondering if anybody else might know of any obvious reasons this could be happening before I bog myself down in a sea of heapdumps and threaddumps.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sdouglasmc we also got the same package from Adobe, it resolved our issue.

Notes from adobe:

Checking the thread dumps and further researching internally, It seems you are running into a known issue(CQ-4312194) with SP7 where numerous threads get blocked due to a Timer with the Component Registry (org.apache.felix.scr.impl.ComponentRegistry). This causes the instance to become unresponsive.

• Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
    - Install the attached hotfix package
    - This will trigger a restart of a couple of bundles. So, need to wait 3-5 mins
    - Go to <host>:<port>/system/console and make sure the "org.apache.felix.scr" version is updated to 2.1.20

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Level 2
After installation of this fix, I haven't observed the deadlock anymore.

Level 3

@sdouglasmc is there any resolution or solution on this issue? we are also facing the same issue in our Prod environment.

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sdouglasmc we also got the same package from Adobe, it resolved our issue.

Notes from adobe:

Checking the thread dumps and further researching internally, It seems you are running into a known issue(CQ-4312194) with SP7 where numerous threads get blocked due to a Timer with the Component Registry (org.apache.felix.scr.impl.ComponentRegistry). This causes the instance to become unresponsive.

• Follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
    - Install the attached hotfix package
    - This will trigger a restart of a couple of bundles. So, need to wait 3-5 mins
    - Go to <host>:<port>/system/console and make sure the "org.apache.felix.scr" version is updated to 2.1.20

Administrator
Thank you for sharing this with community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1
@narayana_chirra can you provide the hotfix package as we are also facing the same issue.

Level 3

@rahuldeou

I would recommend, It would be better if you check with Adobe by raising a ticket rather than getting a package from me and trying as this package is not open-source yet.

That being said, someone mentioned in the comments 

"For those who haven't updated to 6.5.7 yet, Adobe has a new SP7 installation package with Hotfix-CQ-4312194-FELIX-6252 included in it. Makes upgrade faster and more stable. This is not publicly available (yet) but you can probably ask for it in a ticket."

Level 2

For those who haven't updated to 6.5.7 yet, Adobe has a new SP7 installation package with Hotfix-CQ-4312194-FELIX-6252 included in it. Makes upgrade faster and more stable. This is not publicly available (yet) but you can probably ask for it in a ticket.

Administrator
@Jakub_G Thank you for sharing this with community. Keep assisting others here.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Great article, thanks !

Is this package available publicly now ?