Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

AEM 6.5 as Portal Server

Level 3

Hi dears,

I'm interested in run JSR 286-compliant portlets in AEM as I read here 

I couldn't find documentation or use cases about, someone has info about:

1.  Feature is available for enterprise implementation in on premise 6.5 version?
  2.  What's prefered Application Server to run such an architecture?
  3. It could be used also on Managed Services deployment? 
  4. There's some reference project to share?

Thanks, regards

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @mirkomanga, I think it should be possible to use more recent version of the servers. My understanding regarding version that can be found in Adobe documentation is that those specific version has been tested by Adobe.

In terms of JBoss and/or Tomcat usage as a production environment, my answer would be yes - in my opinion base on the documentation both can be considered for production usage.

Nevertheless if you would like to be 100% sure, you will need to confirm all above aspects with Adobe.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @mirkomanga, please find answers for your questions below.

1. Feature is available for enterprise implementation in on premise 6.5 version?
    Yes
  2. What's preferred Application Server to run such an architecture?
    There is not preferred Application Server. However according to the documentation these are supported ones: WebSphere 8.5, JBoss EAP 6.3.0/6.4.0, Oracle WebLogic 12.1.3/12.2, Tomcat 8/8.5
  3. It could be used also on Managed Services deployment?
    If by Managed Services you mean AMS, than I would say the answers is most likely no - I do not think AMS is support setup based on Application Server (which is required for Portal Server). Hover to be 100% I would suggest to contact your Customer Success Engineer.
  4. There's some reference project to share?
    In my opinion you can refer to what is described under Oracle documentation.

Level 3

Hi @lukasz-m and really really thanks for your suggestion! Just one more thing: server you mentioned have more recent versions, do you think it's possible to use them?  And more, JBoss is an application server and Tomcat is a servlet container and a web server: are both suggested as production environment? 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @mirkomanga, I think it should be possible to use more recent version of the servers. My understanding regarding version that can be found in Adobe documentation is that those specific version has been tested by Adobe.

In terms of JBoss and/or Tomcat usage as a production environment, my answer would be yes - in my opinion base on the documentation both can be considered for production usage.

Nevertheless if you would like to be 100% sure, you will need to confirm all above aspects with Adobe.

Level 3

Thanks for your kind suggestions, @lukasz-m , I'll confirm with Adobe.

Regards

Employee Advisor

Have you seen the note: 

The AEM Portal Director is deprecated as of AEM 6.4. See Deprecated and Removed Features.

That probably does not render the whole feature useless, but in 2022 I would not start with a new J2E portal project. 

Level 3

Hi @Jörg_Hoh I read carefully indication from  here  this is reason why opened this thread with my first open point, but i read:

The Portal Director is a set of features, that enables the hosting of AEM content via Portlet in 3rd party servers (...) Portal Direct remains fully supported while being deprecated.(...)Adobe does not plan to make further enhancements to the Portlet Component feature (...) Portlet Component remains fully supported while being deprecated.

So my undestanding is: you can customize component and use AEM as Portal Server, but improve are on your own, as connected risks.

I agree that JSR-286 approach is not the most suitable today, but, you know, sometimes you need to deal with some constraint and evaluate scenarios even if they're not the best solution; however really thanks for your suggestion I'll take care about.