Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

AEM 6.4 | ACS Common Health Check E-mailer | Load on AEM

Level 2

Hi all,

This is related to Health Check monitoring.

1) Wanted to check which all AEM Health check tags we can trigger per minute or per hour without adding load on AEM. We are interested to know CPU Load , Memory Usage , Disk Usage frequently , Indexing Job - so that we can be alerted if there is any Spike. But wondering if we configure these alerts per minute or per hour will this add any load to AEM itself. Should we worry about this.

2) Also noticed that Adobe OOB had Health Check Tag (repository , disk) for capturing DISK USAGE  but do not see any Health Check tag OOB for Memory Usage or CPU Usage - Is this done purposefully as these (checking CPU and Memory) might add load on AEM ?

More Context here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe created this ACS Common for Health Check E-mailer

https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/healthchecks/status-emailer/ind...

Per their recommendation:

Recommended minimal configuration

The recommended minimal configuration is to create (at least) 2 instances of the Status E-mailer:

• One that runs every minute
    • The health checks in this set must be VERY fast and low (computational) cost to execute.
    • Checks all critical health checks.
    • Configured to ONLY send e-mails in the event of a failure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOB Health Check tags below for reference:

-----------------------------------------------------

Health Check Tags

dispatcher
security
production
cq
bundles
packages, startup
content
login
deserialization
example
system
queries
replication
dos
sling
jobs
csrf
[repository, disk]
acl

webserver, clickjacking

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You need to distinguish between system monitoring and AEM monitoring. For system monitoring (CPU usage, disk usage, available RAM etc) there are dedicated tools which can do that much better than AEM itself. 

And even for AEM itself I would use a dedicated monitoring system which is able to fetch data from the AEM healthcheck servlet. Personally I would not use the HealthCheck emailer, as emails are quite cumbersome to parse, and monitoring is something you definitely want to automate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

You need to distinguish between system monitoring and AEM monitoring. For system monitoring (CPU usage, disk usage, available RAM etc) there are dedicated tools which can do that much better than AEM itself. 

And even for AEM itself I would use a dedicated monitoring system which is able to fetch data from the AEM healthcheck servlet. Personally I would not use the HealthCheck emailer, as emails are quite cumbersome to parse, and monitoring is something you definitely want to automate.