Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM 6.3 RHEL 6 convertpdf issues with Courier font

Level 1

I am running AEM 6.3 on a RHEL 6 server that is only being used for document conversion, converting pdf's into PNG's. The conversion works BUT the "Courier" font is being changed to some weird italic looking font with occasional random spaces in some of the words. This only occurs with "Courier" and not "Courier Std" or "Courier New". I have followed the RHEL 6+ doc on installing the font-ibm-type1-1.0.3 package to /usr/share/fonts, sym linked usr/lib/X11/fonts -> /usr/share/X11/fonts, updated the fc-cache, and bounced the app server... No change.

Here is an example of how the PDF to PNG conversion looks before and after:

messedupfont1.JPG

messedupfont2.JPG

I also went into the adobe-livecycle-websphere.ear and changed the adobe-fontmanager.ear and updated the FontManagerResources.properties fallback.root.text to =CourierStd.otf, which is located at /opt/adobe/adobe_experience_manager_Forms/fonts (I made a couple into that dir from /opt/adobe/adobe_experience_manager_Forms/fonts/pdf1/8.0/fonts/ to be sure). No luck. I then pulled courbd.ttf, courbi.ttf, couri.ttf, and cour.ttf from a MS cab file and installed those to /usr/share/fonts/courier directory and updated the fc-cache and see a large list of courier fonts with fc-list:

Courier:style=Bold Italic

Courier:style=Regular

Courier New:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta

Courier 10 Pitch:style=Bold Italic

Courier New:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurzíva,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,Lodi etzana

Courier 10 Pitch:style=Italic

Courier New:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Πλάγια,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana

Courier 10 Pitch:style=Regular

Courier New:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντονα,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia

Courier:style=Italic

Courier 10 Pitch:style=Bold

Courier:style=Bold

Still no luck on converting anything correct? What am I missing? What is the issue with "Courier" but not with "Courier New" and "Courier Std"? I can manually edit the PDF and highlight a block of text and change it from "Courier" to "Courier New" and then re-attempt the convert and that one block I changed converts fine and the rest of the document is still incorrectly converted. When I check the document properties of the PDF for the fonts it displays:

docfonts.JPG

This is what is displayed for the font if I "edit" the document and select the text:

docfontcourier.JPG

Thank you for any possibly suggestions!

- Will

1 Reply

Level 1

I was able to resolve the issue... I ended up downloading the courie32.exe from https://sourceforge.net/projects/corefonts/files/the%20fonts/final/courie32.exe/download and extracting the cour.ttf, courbd.ttf. courbi.ttf, and couri.ttf files from the .exe (via 7zip open archive) and copying these over to the RHEL 6 server into a newly created courier directory at /usr/share/X11/fonts/ (full path now that contains the courier ttf's is /usr/share/X11/fonts/courier). I bounced the app and now the courier font is converted properly when converting from a PDF to a PNG. This resulted in a thin looking Courier font, I then swapped this out with the Courier New font from my Windows OS C:\Windows\Fonts directory and placed within a courier font directory at /usr/share/X11/fonts/courier, this resulted in a better looking courier. I also ended up adding some additional fonts that were missing.