Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.2 and Java 8 maven project POM

Level 4

As per the  the recommended Java version for AEM 6.2 is Java 8. I was just looking at the POM used in we.retail reference github page as this package is intended for AEM 6.2. https://github.com/Adobe-Marketing-Cloud/aem-sample-we-retail/blob/master/pom.xml.

Here I could see that maven compiler plugin uses Java Source and Target as 1.6. Could anyone please let me know if the sources for AEM 6.2 has to be compiled against 1.8.

<plugin>
 <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
 <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
 <configuration>
 <source>1.8</source>
 <target>1.8</target>
 <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
 </configuration>
 </plugin>

Also it would be really great to understand which are the recommended versions to be used for compiler plugin, scr annotations plugin etc.in AEM 6.2 project POM. Any pointers or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Best regards

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

We did update it to 1.8. Though on updating it to 1.8 you would need to make couple updates to the classes which would be really minor, one such that you pointed out. 

Now although the version 1.7 works well for me, you will want to update it per the specs(by Adobe) for the version of AEM you plan on using.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 9

For AEM 6.2 i am using 1.6 as source and target not seeing any issue.

Do you see  any issue from your end??

Thanks,

Kishore

Level 4

I have not faced any issue with using 1.6. Currently I have JDK 1.8 installed and I am just curious to know if we should not change this from 1.6 in the POM for a upgrade activity from 5.6.1 to AEM 6.2.  I've tried using 1.8 which resulted in rewriting the classes using obsolete APIs like java.util.Dictionary. My gut feeling was to leave it to 1.6/1.7 because that is what is being used in almost all the sample projects which I have seen, but just wanted to get an expert opinion in this topic.

Correct answer by
Level 10

We did update it to 1.8. Though on updating it to 1.8 you would need to make couple updates to the classes which would be really minor, one such that you pointed out. 

Now although the version 1.7 works well for me, you will want to update it per the specs(by Adobe) for the version of AEM you plan on using.