Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.2 Alt Text for Images

Level 4

Hello All,

We are trying to edit the alt-text for images but the modifications are not reflecting. Following is the scenario I am doing

I am uploading an image in DAM. Now if I use the image on the component and view the page-source the alt-text property is not coming.

Next I am replicating the image but still the alt-text property is not showing.

Now I try to edit the properties of the image. Basically, I am editing the title property of the image as shown in the image below.

1285644_pastedImage_0.png

At this point, I see that there is a new property cq:name created in the jcr:content node of that image and the value of cq:name is set to the filename of the image but not the title that I am editing.

Now, whenever the cq:name property is there to the jcr:content then the alt text property is being shown in the front end.

So looks like basically cq:name is the alt text value. But, how do we modify this value and also why is the property not set by default and requires a trigger to set the property(i.e. trying to edit the title field in image properties). Although I am not sure if there is another way the cq:name is being created(may be some workflow running in the background). In either way how can we get the desired alt text to be shown in front end?

thanks,

Vish

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Administrator

Alternative Text added is something which is governed by the image component in use not by of image itself.

In AEM 6.3,

Go to we-retail site -> Add Image component in it -> Add image in it -> Configure the component -> Add the Alternative Text

Now, you can see alt text coming up.

1285887_pastedImage_0.png

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Administrator

Alternative Text added is something which is governed by the image component in use not by of image itself.

In AEM 6.3,

Go to we-retail site -> Add Image component in it -> Add image in it -> Configure the component -> Add the Alternative Text

Now, you can see alt text coming up.

1285887_pastedImage_0.png

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi: I just found this response and have a questions to follow up on the same topic of feeding alt-text automatically or not.

1- What happens in the scenarios where I share the same image between different pages? Does the author need to enter the alt-text every single time? What if the description needs to be changed? will the author need to change it everywhere it's referenced instead of one single place?

2- What is the use of the Title and Description fields in the DAM? can you give me an example? My assumption was that this would be the "source of truth" for each image and it can be pulled anywhere on the site.

1321911_pastedImage_0.png