Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Adaptive Image

Level 2

Hi,

I have an Image component which uses adaptive Image servlet to render Image/renditions. The image that we are trying to upload is of high quality TIFF 50-200 MB size. When same image is clicked by multiple users response time is high.

Please suggest

Thanks,

Digvijay

[Moved from the Forum Comments forum (which is for issues with these forums themselves) and into an AEM support forum - moderator]

4 Replies

Level 10

Is this a custom component? What version of AEM are you using. If you are using AEM 6.3/6.4 - recommended component to use is the Image Core component.

Using Core Components

The use of Core Components in AEM reflects best practice.

Level 1

Thanks for the Reply Mac yes I am using AEM 6.3 core component.

So, I'd like to know if there are any standard recommendations on the usage of adaptive images like any restrictions for better performance, as the current construct is resulting in performance issues / impacts on publisher memory & garbage collections

Level 1
  • The new Editable Template paradigm from Adobe has new content policies that drive custom logic within AEM to drive interaction with the image renditions and by proxy (I assume) the Adaptive Image servlet...OR...is the nature of the Adaptive Image Servlet to dynamically render the renditions?
  • There are limited use cases where Adaptive Rendition Generation is needed on publish, and that would be when a user resizes / crops an image using authoring features within the Image Component...but the assumption here would be that the rendition is created when the page is published and that the rendition or binary would be stored within the publisher / author...if not DAM vs dynamically rendered every time a request makes it to origin (Publisher)

Level 3

The adaptive Image servlet is always considered a performance issue approach. Unless you precache the required renditions from dispatcher. The Other best solution is to you dynamic media of AEM, which is better in performance and offers similar options as adaptive Image servlet.

Which creates a TIFF upon image upload to AEM, so this will not create rendition on runtime. So its faster and better.

Working with Dynamic Media