Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Selling your photography via Adobe DPS

Level 4

Can you guys at Adobe make this happen? An awful lot of photographers would love to use something like this and I would love to offer it to them.

I think a really great experience for photographers, galleries, museums, etc. would be if they're reading one of our magazines, discovering new content from photographers and they fall in love with a photograph. They tap a buy now button that's just below the work, they put their finger on their iPhone 6, 6, iPad Mini 3 or iPad Air 2's Touch ID and confirm their information and make the purchase of the photograph. This whole transaction happens in under 10 seconds. Once the print is shipped out, the photographer gets paid they're happy, the collector is happy, I'm happy and of course Adobe is working with me to make photographers even more happy. There are several use-cases for this, including advertisers selling products, working with other companies to build hybrid magazines/catalogues and selling products from directly in the catalogue, etc. The online art market is supposed to be worth over $4 billion in the next few years, which is a doubling of the current value.

I've setup a Professional merchant account with Shopify and they offer code that you can insert into your app for Apple Pay - but it's not HTML or web code, i.e. it's not something I can do from the UI itself, it actually needs to be inserted into the app itself with Xcode. If Adobe does not support this, meaning maybe it's something they'll do in the future, is there a way to allow us to do this that doesn't violate the terms and conditions of the agreement?

If you guys could make this happen, you'd make a lot of photographers very very happy and it would be a fantastic opportunity for them to easily sell their work to collectors and connoisseurs in the US and UK.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi David,

Adding support for 3rd party code is something we think about, but it's not something imminent. It's pretty complicated to support from an architectural side due to various restrictions imposed by the marketplaces our apps live in.

As for your broader idea, I'll share it with the team but I don't see us enabling in-app purchasing of physical goods via Apple Pay soon. It's not aligned with the core scenarios we're trying to support with the first wave of DPS 2015 features.

Neil

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

Hi guys - just bumping this for reference. I completely understand if there's no way to make this happen in the initial release of DPS, but is there a way to allow us to incorporate the code ourselves into the apps we produce?

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi David,

Adding support for 3rd party code is something we think about, but it's not something imminent. It's pretty complicated to support from an architectural side due to various restrictions imposed by the marketplaces our apps live in.

As for your broader idea, I'll share it with the team but I don't see us enabling in-app purchasing of physical goods via Apple Pay soon. It's not aligned with the core scenarios we're trying to support with the first wave of DPS 2015 features.

Neil

Level 4

Hi Neil - thanks for the answer. I kind of figured that this would be a no from the official standpoint of the PMs, however; given that the code is so tiny that we need in order to plug in our shopify Apple Pay support, I mean this is really tiny, is there a way for us to do this with each our DPS 2015 apps? As far as DPS supporting the code, I would never expect DPS to support Shoppify's code.

There are other digital publishing platforms that allow us to do this, however; none of them have the advanced features that DPS 2015 offers. It would be a shame to offer my clients an inferior product when a solution such as DPS 2015 exists and the only thing standing between us all being happy is 15 minutes worth of work from one of our developers.

Employee

Unless the code is in HTML, there's no way to integrate it into DPS 2015.

Neil