Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

subforms won't resize

Level 2

I have a form that's dealing me fits.

I can't resize subforms that are set to Flowed/Western Text, either by clicking or dragging, or entering a value in the Layout tab.

I also have some text fields in a positioned subform that I can't resize either. Every time I try to make them wider, they snap back even shorter than before, and I can't even change it back to the original size.

What could I have set wrong?

I have 2 Master pages: one portrait layout (Page1) and the other landscape (Page2).

The problems are occurring  mostly on the first page.

The hierarchy is:

• first page (set to Flowed/Top to Bottom) 7.75 in width
    • firstpageHeader_subform (Flowed/Western Text)
      I can't resize this to 7.75in; every time I try it snaps to different sizes (for example, first try it goes from 7.25in to 7in, second try it closes to 6.7329in, third try it goes to 6.75in, and on and on to more odd widths, etc.
      • Text box
      • Text box
    • Address_subform (Flowed/Top to Bottom) can't resize either
      • Text box
    • Title_subform
      • Text field
    • Information_subform (Positioned) can't resize
      • Text field x 5 cannot resize most of these
      • Text box
      • RadiobuttonList
    • Objectives_subform  same resize problem
      • Text Field
    • Questions_sunform  ditto
      • Text Field

Obviously I have something set wrong.

I don't know if this is too much information, or not not enough or incomplete or irrelevant info.

All I know is, this form hates me.

Another issue is that there is this blank page right at the beginning of the form I can't get rid of. When I click on it it goes to Page1 under Master Pages in the hierarchy. I don't know if that's affecting the above problem or not. Should I have the firstpage pagination Place set to something else (right now it's on On Page "PageArea1")

I could post the odd blank page problem as a separate question.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

I went through your form and the main problem is that you have conflicting border settings on your page subforms (width 7.75 and left/right border 0.5) which does not leave enough space for 7.25 in.

You also used flowed western far too much. You only need to use this if you have dynamic elements which need to grow from left to right. Your form can be done with simple positioned subforms and the elements arranged by position.

I will post a link on PM to you with a sample based on you form - I replaced the first 3 subforms of your firstpage in a new page subform. Check this out. If you adapt your form in this way it will not hate you any more

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee
Difficult to analyse by description. I have an idea what you probably did wrong but it would be easier to look at your design. If you can PM me a link to some google drive or similar with your XDP and I have a look.

Employee

thanks for the form.

Here the  answer to the "simpler" problem of a first empty page

My understanding of your design is that form pages:

firstpage

ProposalBudget

BudgetNarrative

Directions

Are all on master page 1

CurrentandPending

is to go page2 landscape.

You got it right with Top of next page for ProposalBudget onwards but you must set firstpage to Following Previous. Same result as to the master page and NO blank page at the beginning.

The other issue needs some more time to check - I will post another answer soon. 

Correct answer by
Employee

I went through your form and the main problem is that you have conflicting border settings on your page subforms (width 7.75 and left/right border 0.5) which does not leave enough space for 7.25 in.

You also used flowed western far too much. You only need to use this if you have dynamic elements which need to grow from left to right. Your form can be done with simple positioned subforms and the elements arranged by position.

I will post a link on PM to you with a sample based on you form - I replaced the first 3 subforms of your firstpage in a new page subform. Check this out. If you adapt your form in this way it will not hate you any more

Level 2

By George... you've got it!!
I am forever in your debt!