Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

Custom Workflow Step - Wait

Level 6

We are contemplating a custom workflow step that will "wait x number of business days".

Is it possible to create a workflow step to "block" the workflow like this?  Or would I merely need to create a loop and sleep in the loop?

What happens when the server is restarted?  Would the component start over?  Will I need to save state so, it doesn't restart the wait from the beginning?

I recognize that this can be handled in different ways but, I'm interested in encapsulating this function into a custom component for design reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

@crich2784 I think you're on right track, you will need to preserve a state. I would have taken the server timestamp and kept payload and data and then initiated a WF modal with assign task using a cron job, the cron should run daily and should put all the pending tasks to assign task workflow after x days post the last timestamp that was preserved.

Level 6

@Mayank_Gandhi I have this working pretty well but, I have one major flaw.

My component basically does a while(true) loop until it is time to end.  Now, when I try to terminate the process or step, the system hangs.  My component is not giving the system time to terminate.  It's blocking everything.  How can I make this step wait and wakeup.  Maybe this is what you were talking about with the cron job - I really don't understand.  Seems like I should be able to end the component but, not allow the workflow to continue until I'm ready?  This would be similar to the Assign Task step - I can terminate a process even when it's on the Assign Task step.