Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Continue using Adobe LiveCycle Designer

Level 4

I’m currently using Adobe LiveCycle Designer and I’m wondering how long I should continue using this design tool as it is no longer supported by Adobe.  I’ve been reading some discussions around this topic, but I’m still not sure what to do.

Is it not a good idea to continue using LiveCycle Designer?

Should I start using AEM forms as a replacement?

Should I use Adobe InDesign?

I mainly create static interactive forms used for simple fill in and print pdfs, however I do have a few dynamic forms which could be phased out.

I’m hoping someone can provide some advice for what is the best option.

Thanks

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

The Adobe LiveCycle designer is now called AEM Forms Designer. The latest version is 6.5. You can safely continue to use the LiveCycle or AEM Forms Designer. Adobe fully supports AEM Forms Designer, and it is recommended you upgrade to AEM Forms Designer 6.5

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 2

You can safely continue to use adobe live cycle designer. The old Adobe Livecycle designer has been rebranded and is now called AEM Forms Designer

The new forms designer is fully supported by Adobe

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

The Adobe LiveCycle designer is now called AEM Forms Designer. The latest version is 6.5. You can safely continue to use the LiveCycle or AEM Forms Designer. Adobe fully supports AEM Forms Designer, and it is recommended you upgrade to AEM Forms Designer 6.5

Level 4

Thanks for the responses.  A few more questions.

If I upgrade to AEM Forms Designer, do I still need to add Adobe Reader Extensions to forms?  Again, I mostly create static fill and print forms; and most users have Adobe Reader.

I assume forms designed in Adobe LiveCycle can be brought into AEM Forms Designer without redesigning from scratch.  Is this accurate?

Is AEM Forms Designer a stand alone product? I don't need server technology.

Level 10

AEM Forms Designer and LiveCycle Designer (LCD) is the same application. It has just a different name. All forms created with LCD are editable in AEM Form,s Designer as well. There's no difference. Same goes for Reader Extensions. Designer only creates the forms, the usage rights have to be applied afterwards through Adobe Acrobat or AEM Reader Extension Server (ARES). 

Level 4

Hi Radzmar,

What exactly is no longer supported if I continue to use Adobe LiveCycle Designer? What could go wrong in the long term? From what I can tell the only value upgrading to AEM is that it is supported whereas ALCD is not. 

Level 10

Designer, no matter if the LiveCycle, ADEP or AEM Forms incarnation is almost the same app. AEM Forms Designer is the current version which has got a few minor updates in the UI but overall it does the same as the previous LiveCycle and ADEP versions: Creating XFA forms based on the XFA specification version 3.3 that hasn't changed since a decade. 

Level 3

My 2 cents:

1. Software that is no longer supported can be an issue if you are working for a company or for a client/customer that requires you to use supported versions. (think US Federal, State and Local governments).
  2. Designer has been incrementally updated.
    • This includes creating PDF forms that are compatible with the latest versions of Acrobat.
    • Improvements in 508 Compliance.
  3. With AEM Designer 6.5.15 Adobe re-wrote the code base so that it will work with 64-bit, etc. (This may be a simplistic explanation but if you do not have 6.5.15 you cannot upgrade any further.) Again, not an issue if you want to use an unsupported version.

The issue many have is that Adobe does not seem to have a purchase path for just AEM Designer. It used to cost what...$300 USD? If there is a standalone purchase capability maybe Adobe can provide specifics here.