Expand my Community achievements bar.

Blank Pages After Maven Deployment

Level 2

Hey community,

I have a question, please. Sometimes, when I deploy changes using mvn clean install -PautoInstallPackage, I only see blank pages with no components after the deployment is done. I need to restart my instance to get everything back. I've checked the logs and other things but haven't found the reason. Have you dealt with this before? If so, what could be the problem?

4 Replies

Level 2

@Ayoub_Tabai ,
It would be great if you can also attach the error logs. Without the logs, it's difficult to pinpoint what is happening after deployment.

You can start debugging your current issue on following - 

1. Check if all project related the bundles are getting activated.
  2. Check if all the component states are satisfied
  3. Check if all the services are up and active.
  4. Issues with cache or temporary files can sometimes cause problems after deployment.
    Try clearing the cache and temporary files (/crx-quickstart/launchpad/felix/cache, /crx-quickstart/launchpad/felix/bundleX/data/cache)
  5. Sometimes deployment can make repository inconsistent. check the repository consistency and repair any issues.
    https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-65/content/implementing/deploying/conf...
  6.  I have also observed that sometimes if you have OOTB configurations a part of your code, then this issue can happen. Sometimes OOTB configuration changes take time to apply.
    Simple way to check this would be to tail your error log files after the deployment is complete. If logs are being generated after your deployment is complete then that means system is processing things in background and you shold wait for it finish and then access your pages. 

Community Advisor

Hi, 

This is definitely not the out-of-the-box behavior. Usually, it could take some time to refresh your project bundle, and during that time, you may encounter a 'blank screen.' However, if it never returns, there might be an issue. One thing you could do is check if all the bundles are active after deploying the project. I remember facing a similar issue once because our code (bundle) had some dependency that was reinitializing some bundles, causing the entire system to take longer to start up. The reality is that if you wait for a minute and the page is still blank, you might think it's broken, but it's worth trying again after some time to see if it starts working. Give that a try as well. The best you can do is open the log and see what happening on your bundle deployment to see if you find any bundle restarting in addition to yours, that will help you to troubleshoot further

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

Level 1

Hi @Ayoub_Tabai 

Below are potential causes and solutions, including a recommended deployment process that involves using both mvn clean install -PautoInstallPackage and mvn clean install -PautoInstallBundle.

Potential Causes and Solutions

Bundles and Components Not Active

Check the OSGi console (http://localhost:4502/system/console/bundles) to ensure all bundles are active. Activate any bundles in the "Installed" or "Resolved" state.

Sling Resource Resolver Cache

Restart the Sling Resource Resolver via the Felix console (http://localhost:4502/system/console/resolver).

Log Files

Review the AEM error logs (error.log) and OSGi logs (/crx-quickstart/logs). Look for errors or warnings that indicate missing dependencies or incorrect configurations.

Recommended Deployment Process

To avoid issues and ensure a smooth deployment, it is recommended to first deploy your content package and then deploy the OSGi bundles separately. This approach can help isolate and troubleshoot potential issues more effectively.

Step 1: Deploy the Content Package

Use mvn clean install -PautoInstallPackage to deploy the entire content package, which includes code, configurations, and content.

Step 2: Deploy the OSGi Bundles

After deploying the content package, use mvn clean install -PautoInstallBundle to deploy only the OSGi bundles. This ensures that the Java code is correctly installed and activated.

Hope this Helps.

Administrator

@Ayoub_Tabai Did you find the suggestion helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you've discovered a solution yourself, we would appreciate it if you could share it with the community. Thank you!  

Kautuk Sahni