Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

Is it possible to allow Null Values in numeric fields in Camapign?

Level 2

Just like any other database when adding columns to a huge table we are having issues if number fields is defaulted to zeros, because it is trying to update the existing records. Please let me now how we can enforce the nulls to numeric fields instead of default property. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Ok,

So it appears that on the database level there is a "NOT NULL" constraint for numeric fields. So in Campaign NULL values are not authorized for numeric fields, hence defaulting to 0 instead.

Florent

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Sorry I missed your question. Are you using Campaign Classic (6 or 7), or Campaign Standard?

At which moment do you want the values of the new column to be set? Is it when adding the column to the table, or later when importing/updating data through a workflow?

Let me know,

Florent

Level 10

Hi,

Do you have any update on your issue?

Let me know,

Florent

Level 2

This is in v7 .We want to enforce When adding the field to schema to null value.  While doing import workflow we will insert or update to default value of zero when not coming from source. So my question is how to  avoid defaulting to zero when adding a new numeric field to schema

Employee

HI Srikant,

Do you mean to say when you are adding a field to schema through console number fields is defaulted to zeros which you don't want to happen.

Level 10

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want to have NULL or 0 as default when the column is empty during the import?

Have you tried playing with the column format options? For example:

1350106_pastedImage_0.png

You have a description of how it works here: https://docs.campaign.adobe.com/doc/AC/en/WKF_Repository_of_activities_Action_activities.html#Defini...

Hope this helps,

Florent

Level 2

Hi florent,

We are having postgres as backend, the default property of the database is zero for any numeric field atleast that is how it was setup in our environemnt , please forget about the import , I am strictly talking about database here. when we add new numeric fields to a large table .. it is trying to update existing records with default value zero So instead we want the database to allow Null value, that way not updates required. It is something to do with either campaign tool which is causing the issue.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Ok,

So it appears that on the database level there is a "NOT NULL" constraint for numeric fields. So in Campaign NULL values are not authorized for numeric fields, hence defaulting to 0 instead.

Florent

Level 3

Hi florentlb,

are NULL values still not authorized for numeric fields in Campaign (Standard)?

In Load File activity there is "Insert NULL in the corresponding field" option for "Empty value management".

Is this option not applicable to numeric fields? I'm not able to find any information about in online support.

Is there a different way to manage empty values in numeric fields? Or have you any suggestions about?

Thanks,

Livia