Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Campaign User Groups are live now. Join our Adobe Campaign User Groups and connect with your local leaders!

Syntax for updating recipient field from typology rule?

Level 4

Hi Community! 

Can anyone assist with syntax for updating recipient fields from a typology control rule? 

I tried standard stuff like: 

recipient.xxx = ""
delivery.recipient.xxx = ""

But it does not allow me.

Thanks a bunch in advance! 

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @SorenDP  Could you please share more details on the use case? Why typology and how it will help in the usecase?

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 4

Hi @_Manoj_Kumar_!  

Sure thing: 

The use-case is that we are currently implementing supression rules on our commercial email sendouts in ACC V7. Although the built in pressure type typology rule seems obvious to use, it has some limitiations that we are considered draw backs for us. 

The built in requires that we set a contact date in the delivery. However, our way of working is, that every delivery we send is scheduled directly in the workflow and made from delovery templates, and thus no contact date is set. In a previous question I raised, someone suggested to set the contact date dynamically by comuting it in the field. This is a good suggestion, BUT the issue here is, that it requires the delivery activity in the workflow to be a type recurring delivery. This again does not fit into our way of working and we have earlier intentionally chosen not to work with recurring delivery types AT ALL. This leaves 2 types: Continuous delivery, and the standard delivery type actions. Issue here is, that they do not allow for a dynamically computed contact date. 

So that leaves me in kind of a void and currently considering my options here. 1 options is therefore to create a control type typlogy and use that to update a recipient field that counts amount of emails received per day. addtionally we will have a utility workflow that will clear this field once a day so the counter is reset every day as well. Lastly we will either simply make a filter in any commercial workflow to filter out recipient who received more than the threshold amound of emails before sendout. OR alternatively create yet another typology that exists later in the execution order to filter these out. 

That's the use-case. Currently I am stuck though, with creating a control type typlogy rule that is able to update recipient fields and seeking help to accomplish that. 

Thanks.

Level 3

Hi @SorenDP 

Have you tried setting the contactDate in the Advanced tab of the Delivery activity?

OscarGo_0-1719914137820.png

Level 4

HI @OscarGo,  

Thanks for the reply! YES, I tried that. I get the following: 

SorenDP_0-1719916236123.png

With the following syntax: 

delivery.scheduling.contactDate = getCurrentDate (); 

Level 3

Hi @SorenDP 

Okay, it seems you do not have the delivery object created at that stage

I think if you use the JS code in the Script tab, instead of Advanced tab, you should have the object

Hope it helps

Level 4

That definitely works, however, a continuous delivery does not have a script tab option. Sorry for being difficult

Level 3

Hi @SorenDP 

Then you can do it by adding a JS Activity after the Continuous Delivery Activity and there update the field

Hope it helps

Level 4

@OscarGo If I do it with an update activity after, then it sort of defeats the purpose.  I want to be able to apply this to all emails, and wanted to avoid adding update activities in all workflows to make this suppression work. 

So the update activity has been my last resort solution, but just really wanted to see if I could do anything smarter. 

But I still don't know if I can update a recipient field from a typology rule (the initial question) - Which in my opinion would be "smarter" and more scalable as well as flexible It does however have other drawbacks - Which I am of, but not too concerned about.