Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

Sequence

Level 6

What is sequence and what is its relationship with dual table?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Sanjana12  In Adobe Campaign Classic, a sequence refers to a database object that generates unique numerical values. Sequences are often used to generate unique IDs for records in a table The dual table in Adobe Campaign Classic is a special table that has only one row and one column. The purpose of the dual table is to provide a way to execute SQL queries that don't depend on any tables in the database.

Sequences and the dual table are related in Adobe Campaign Classic because sequences are often used in conjunction with the dual table to generate unique IDs for records.

When you insert a new record into a table, you can use a SQL query that includes the next value from a sequence in the VALUES clause, like this: 

INSERT INTO mytable (id, name) VALUES (my_sequence.nextval, 'John');

In above example, my_sequence is the name of the sequence, and my table is the name of the table where the record is being inserted. The nextval function returns the next value in the sequence, which is used as the ID for the new record. The dual table is often used in this type of query to generate the unique ID, like this 

INSERT INTO mytable (id, name) VALUES (my_sequence.nextval, 'John') FROM dual;

In the above example, the FROM dual clause tells the database to execute the query without referencing any tables. This is necessary because the query doesn't depend on any data in the database, but it does need to generate a unique ID using the sequence.

So, sequences and the dual table are both used in Adobe Campaign Classic to generate unique IDs for records in tables.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Sanjana12  In Adobe Campaign Classic, a sequence refers to a database object that generates unique numerical values. Sequences are often used to generate unique IDs for records in a table The dual table in Adobe Campaign Classic is a special table that has only one row and one column. The purpose of the dual table is to provide a way to execute SQL queries that don't depend on any tables in the database.

Sequences and the dual table are related in Adobe Campaign Classic because sequences are often used in conjunction with the dual table to generate unique IDs for records.

When you insert a new record into a table, you can use a SQL query that includes the next value from a sequence in the VALUES clause, like this: 

INSERT INTO mytable (id, name) VALUES (my_sequence.nextval, 'John');

In above example, my_sequence is the name of the sequence, and my table is the name of the table where the record is being inserted. The nextval function returns the next value in the sequence, which is used as the ID for the new record. The dual table is often used in this type of query to generate the unique ID, like this 

INSERT INTO mytable (id, name) VALUES (my_sequence.nextval, 'John') FROM dual;

In the above example, the FROM dual clause tells the database to execute the query without referencing any tables. This is necessary because the query doesn't depend on any data in the database, but it does need to generate a unique ID using the sequence.

So, sequences and the dual table are both used in Adobe Campaign Classic to generate unique IDs for records in tables.