Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

YouTube Video tracking? which extension is best

Community Advisor

Hi All,

I used below mentioned extensions separately.

1) YouTube Playback

2) YouTube Player Embed

3) Video Tracking for YouTube

But sometimes its working and sometimes is not working. Could you please guide. Thank you.

kamleshmaddheshiya_0-1654233076839.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @kamlesh-maddheshiya  looks like you are still having issues... (I remember your post https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/youtube-video-tracking-th...)

Sounds like you are getting the same behaviour I did when I tried used any of those.... 

Play - tracked

Pause - not tracked

Play - not tracked

Pause - tracked

Play - tracked

etc

It was too inconsistent to trust the data for me too..... Which is why I had to abandon them all and do my custom solution... but I do hear the criticism about using two tag managers... this really is only viable if you already have that anyway....

I even tried creating my own custom code using the YouTube API directly... but I found the API very unstable... my first solution lasted a week then died cause the API changed... I rebuild it, it lasted 4 days... I rebuilt it, it lasted about week and half.. broke again... I couldn't deal with that and scrapped the solution as well.

If you have GTM and would like to try my solution, I would be happy to help you out... but for a solution completely in Adobe - I never got anything that worked consistently, sorry.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @kamlesh-maddheshiya  looks like you are still having issues... (I remember your post https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/youtube-video-tracking-th...)

Sounds like you are getting the same behaviour I did when I tried used any of those.... 

Play - tracked

Pause - not tracked

Play - not tracked

Pause - tracked

Play - tracked

etc

It was too inconsistent to trust the data for me too..... Which is why I had to abandon them all and do my custom solution... but I do hear the criticism about using two tag managers... this really is only viable if you already have that anyway....

I even tried creating my own custom code using the YouTube API directly... but I found the API very unstable... my first solution lasted a week then died cause the API changed... I rebuild it, it lasted 4 days... I rebuilt it, it lasted about week and half.. broke again... I couldn't deal with that and scrapped the solution as well.

If you have GTM and would like to try my solution, I would be happy to help you out... but for a solution completely in Adobe - I never got anything that worked consistently, sorry.