Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Web event data not reaching Adobe Analytics Reports

Level 2

Hi, This is my 1st attempt at configuring and sending data from our Dev website to Adobe Analytics. Although I did use another orgs. Report Suite and Tag Properties setup as a template. 

In our Tag Properties Rules we are using:

Events: Core - Direct Call

Then: Actions: 

Adobe Analytics - Set Variables THEN Adobe Analytics - Send Beacon

We have embedded the Tags code in the <head> tag of our document.

We are sending our Data element JS variables to AA using the _satellite.track function.

In the Adobe Experience Platform Debugger, we do see data coming across from Analytics. We see the Props we defined, Page Title, Page URL, etc... However, we do not see any data in our Dev Report Suite. 

How can we troubleshoot if data is even being sent from our website? In Chrome Dev Tools we do not see any indication of making a POST or API call to send data to AA.

Can someone please give some troubleshooting tips to see data going to AA from our website and data being ingested into Report Suite?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Another thing to look for... in your browser's network panel, what response code are you getting on your tracking call? Note that with the debugger open you will likely see 2 calls (one being a 307 (redirect to the debugger) and then the real call which should be a 200... I suspect you are not getting a 200 response....

Filter by "b/ss" in your network panel:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1659060907785.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

How long did you wait for the data to appear? Adobe Analytics does need some time to process... general rule of thumb is that data should appear in your reports about 1 hour later... if it's been longer than an hour, then there is probably something wrong.. but if you are seeing content in the debugger that should mean that data is being sent... the first thing I would check is what suite is the data going to?

There should be a line in the debugger called reportSuiteIds; make sure that this is in fact your correct dev suite. 

Community Advisor

In the Adobe debugger, sign in with your Adobe login, then choose your organisation (from the top-right selector of the debugger window). After signing in, test your page, then go to the Analytics screen in the debugger. For each hit that is sent from your browser, you should see two columns of data, instead of the normal one column. The second column is the data that AA's server has received from your hit. If you don't see that second column per hit, then it means your data isn't reaching AA's server. Then you have to troubleshoot your implementation. Jennifer's suggestion about checking your report suite IDs would be the number one thing to check.

Community Advisor

Funny.. Logging in has never worked for me... I do, and I always get the "You do not have permission to see the configured names or post processed hits for this report suite." even though I am the super admin for the entire organization and have access to everything... I thought the tool was just buggy for everyone (interesting that this works for you)

Level 2

Thank you @yuhuisg and @Jennifer_Dungan . @earl2 and I are colleagues. I'm the Super Admin of the account and was able to follow your suggestions. Here is what I did and saw:

1. Launched debugger, signed in with SA account and toggled "Show post processed hits"

2. Loaded the page

3. I see 4 columns in the debugger.

4. Columns 1 and 3 are the Analytics columns showing populated values (Page URL, Page Title, etc).

5. Columns 2 and 4 are Analytics Post Processed. These two columns are empty.

So, I see two AA columns but I also see two empty Analytics Post Processed columns. Does this mean that data is not getting sent back to our Reporting Suite? I confirmed it is pointing to the correct reporting suite. We have been troubleshooting this for several days, so it's not a lag in the data.
Thanks for any additional thoughts you may have!

Community Advisor

Yes, what you're seeing confirms that your hits are not being received by AA's server.

1. Did you observe any errors in your browser console that might be related to your hits?
  2. Are you using the correct tracking server?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Another thing to look for... in your browser's network panel, what response code are you getting on your tracking call? Note that with the debugger open you will likely see 2 calls (one being a 307 (redirect to the debugger) and then the real call which should be a 200... I suspect you are not getting a 200 response....

Filter by "b/ss" in your network panel:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1659060907785.png

Level 2

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan and @yuhuisg . Those are great tips! 

Here is what I get using the b/ss filter method in the network panel (debugger off). As you can see I get two 200 responses with Type = 'text/html.' I did a similar check on one of our sites functioning correctly and I see only one 200 response (with Type = 'ping').

Not sure why we're getting two 200 responses. I'm going to spend some time on the Tracking Server setup, per @yuhuisg.

Thank you for your continued help!

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.46.25 AM.png

Community Advisor

One of those is probably a Page View event, and the other is likely an Action event (you did say in the debugger you saw 4 - so 2 hits (and 2 "post-processed" values, even though these were blank)... IF these are both Page Views, I would also recommend to check your triggers.. you don't want to be double counting your page views.

But right now, it sure looks like it's getting to Adobe... based on that 200 response code... 

Level 2

@Jennifer_Dungan @yuhuisg , Thank you both for your troubleshooting tips. We were able to find the issue by looking at the tracking calls in dev tools Networking. We had Tracking server misconfigured and it was sending data to our webserver instead of Adobe's default Tracking server. After removing the Tracking server and re-building the library. It was able to start collecting data. 

Thank you!.

Community Advisor

Oh I am so glad you figured it out!