Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Unknown values are capturing in eVar

Level 3

Unknown values are capturing in eVar and Not able to reproduce the issue. any solution for this issue to avoid Unknown values.

Unknown values document - 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/technotes/unspecified

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 4

Hi! @reddy_y-11 

When you're capturing "Unknown" or "Unspecified" values in an Adobe Analytics eVar, it often means that the variable isn't being set properly on the page or during the visit. Here are some common causes and solutions to address the issue:

1. Check the Implementation of the eVar:

• Correct Placement: Ensure that the eVar is correctly set on all relevant pages or actions. If it's only set on some pages, the eVar might not persist across the entire user session, leading to "Unknown" values.
  • Firing Order: Ensure that the eVar is set before the analytics tracking call (s.t() or s.tl()). If the eVar is set after the tracking call, it won't be captured properly.

2. Verify the Data Layer:

• Ensure that the data layer or the variables you're pulling the eVar values from are populated correctly on all relevant pages. If the data layer is missing or has a different structure on some pages, the eVar might not capture the value.

3. Check for Conditional Logic:

• Conditionally Set eVar: Review any conditional logic used to set the eVar. If the condition isn't met, the eVar won't be set, resulting in an "Unknown" value.
  • Default Values: Consider setting a default value for the eVar when it isn’t set by the conditions.

4. Check eVar Expiration:

• eVar Expiration: Verify the expiration setting of the eVar. If it’s set to expire too soon, the eVar value may not persist as expected. You can set the expiration to "Visit" or "Purchase" depending on your use case.

5. Cross-Referencing Data:

• Cross-reference with other variables (like props) to check if the same value is being captured correctly in other dimensions. This could help identify where the breakdown is occurring.

Level 5

Hi @reddy_y-11 ,

Apart from what has been described in document, I recently faced this issue with Unknown appearing for most of the dimensions. I raised a ticket with Adobe client care and Adobe Engineering team was able to fix it. If you can rule out everything mentioned in document, I suggest you raise a support ticket.

Best,
Isha

Level 3

Hi @SrividyaVenkat , Thanks fro the reply

We didn't make any implimentation changes from last 4 months onwards.

In eVar, both unspecified and unknown values are capturing.

@igupta , Thanks for the reply

Sure i will raise support ticket.