Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unknown Transaction ID in "Generic - Transaction ID" Data Source allowed?

Level 2

Hi, I have a data source from type "Generic - Transaction ID". Normally, it adds offline data to online transactions. But in some occasions we have transaction IDs in our data source file, which are not known to Adobe Analytics. Does that cause a problem? Does the row still get processed?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks for your answer but I don't think you understand the question. Of course I enabled Transaction ID processing. The question is, if it causes any problem if the uploaded offline data source file contains a Transaction ID, which cannot be mapped to any Transaction ID that was set online.

I think I have the answer though: I uploaded rows with dummy Transaction IDs or no Transaction ID at all, and the data was still available in the reports interface.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 4

The data will be available but wont get binded with Online data in the report.

hyderziaee  Can you confirm that please?

Employee Advisor

So here are the things to note:

• Are you referring to the TransactionID column? If so, do you have transaction ID variable enabled for the report suite?
  • The Transaction ID is used to bind the same transaction happening over two or more different hits. If each transaction id is only ever present in one hit, it is not being useful?
  • The transaction id is also not available through the reports interface, and has to be accessed through Data Warehouse. If you only need a variable to capture offline transactions (and not bind them to online conversions) then use a different variable which would be available in the report

-Hyder

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks for your answer but I don't think you understand the question. Of course I enabled Transaction ID processing. The question is, if it causes any problem if the uploaded offline data source file contains a Transaction ID, which cannot be mapped to any Transaction ID that was set online.

I think I have the answer though: I uploaded rows with dummy Transaction IDs or no Transaction ID at all, and the data was still available in the reports interface.

Employee Advisor

Yes, that is correct. It will not affect. I did not say that as Saneesh had already covered it.

My question/argument to you was regarding, is it necessary to use Transaction ID if it is not being used for binding? Why not use an evar so that the transaction ID value is available in the reports as well?

-Hyder

Level 2

We DO use transaction ID for binding. But in some exceptional cases, the transaction IDs from the offline source doesn't have a corresponding transaction ID from the online order process. In those cases, the Events wouldn't be bound to the original online visitor but would still be included in the aggregated metrics.