Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unique visitor count - wrong?

Level 2

When looking at my user id report for logged in users ( for one day ) - how come I am seeing more then one Unique Visit?  [img]userID.jpg[/img]

alternatively, I've got a cookie report and that report ( for one day ) - is showing more than one unique visit on a single cookie? 

Am I missing something obvious here? 

One cookie = one user?

and each authenticated/logged in user should be counted as one unique visit?

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think you might be using an eVar to capture the visitor ID. I will advise you to contact clientcare and ask to pull data feed for a day for which you want to compare data.

If you are not using s.visitorID in your code then the visitor ID is the concatenation of the columns post_visid_low and post_visid_high, (the combination of two visitor IDs (visid_high and visid_low) creates a unique visitor ID. ) if you are using s.visitorID then the vsitorID should be post_cust_visid. 

Add your eVar column eVarX and post_eVarX and compare the difference.

If the value are different, then there might an issue on:

how you create the visitorID value (your eVar)

the expiration of the visitorID (your eVar)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Unique visitors and unique visits is a different metric.

A visit is counted every time a customer come to your website up until there is 30 minuted of inactivity (no image request sent to Adobe server for 30 min period).

So it is possible that for the same unique visitors there might be more than one visit.

Level 2

Thanks Alexis,

That makes sense for the visits column, I was referring to the Unique visitors column. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think you might be using an eVar to capture the visitor ID. I will advise you to contact clientcare and ask to pull data feed for a day for which you want to compare data.

If you are not using s.visitorID in your code then the visitor ID is the concatenation of the columns post_visid_low and post_visid_high, (the combination of two visitor IDs (visid_high and visid_low) creates a unique visitor ID. ) if you are using s.visitorID then the vsitorID should be post_cust_visid. 

Add your eVar column eVarX and post_eVarX and compare the difference.

If the value are different, then there might an issue on:

how you create the visitorID value (your eVar)

the expiration of the visitorID (your eVar)

Level 6

If the columns do match, then should unique visitor count equal 1 if I pull a UV report by eVarX?

Level 2

yes I am using an eVar to capture visitor ID

(not a programmer) did a quick search for s.visitorID and came up with nothing in the s_code

Thanks, I just requested this from clientcare