Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Total visits are less than pages breakdown of the visits

Level 2

Hello Omniture gurus,

I have a question about the two approaches below

What i want to do:

How many organic natural search visits occurred from a set of pages (i made a segment out of it)

Solutions:

1) make a segment and go to visit report and make a calculated metrics to have visits only from channel= natural search (note the total)

2) Break the visits from above report further with pages and count the total of the metrics for all the pages

I believe the second solution is proper. Is it?

The sum of pages are much higher than total of the pages displayed which i am curious about as well as to why the total doesnt match the sum of pages

Please guide

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Perfect. Here's what you'll want to do:

1. Go to Analysis Workspace and open a new project
  2. In the new project, locate the pages dimension. There will be an arrow to the right of the dimension - click it. You should see a bunch of page name values now.
  3. Drag each of the pagename values you want to look at to the table on the right.
  4. Once you have all the pages you want to look at, go to metrics and pull in visits twice. You can overwrite the default occurrences metric that appeared by default.
  5. Locate the default segment 'visits from natural search', then drag it above one of the visit headers. This should put the segment above one of the visit segments.

You should end up with a report that looks like this:

1594813_pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee Advisor

There are a ton of ways you can get this data. Before I recommend the way you build a workspace, what dimension do you want to see visits by? Do you want to see it by date? Do you want to see the number of visits per page? Or do you want to see all natural search visits vs other referring methods?

Level 2

Thank you for reply.

All i want to do is to break the visits by pages and count the pages lines item visits than the total of visits

Reason is that i have pages report in report builder and that counts the visits per page.

How do you see the difference between

1. making a segment of pages and taking the visits total

2. Making a segment of pages, take the visits and break down the visits by pages and count the sum of line items of pages

3.  Page report in report builder and making sum of visits of pages

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Perfect. Here's what you'll want to do:

1. Go to Analysis Workspace and open a new project
  2. In the new project, locate the pages dimension. There will be an arrow to the right of the dimension - click it. You should see a bunch of page name values now.
  3. Drag each of the pagename values you want to look at to the table on the right.
  4. Once you have all the pages you want to look at, go to metrics and pull in visits twice. You can overwrite the default occurrences metric that appeared by default.
  5. Locate the default segment 'visits from natural search', then drag it above one of the visit headers. This should put the segment above one of the visit segments.

You should end up with a report that looks like this:

1594813_pastedImage_3.png

Level 2

Thank you very much. I have questions further to clarify and answer my main questions from here

1. In the screenshot attached, will the total be equal to sum of pages displayed if i export ALL of them and sum the individual pages visits on excel

2. How does this approach different than

A) make a segment

B) drag visits total only as a total visits

Thanks

Employee Advisor
  1. No, they won't add up, not even close. This KB article goes into detail on why that is the case: Compare sum of line items to report total
  2. It depends on what segment container you use in your created segment. This method prevents other pages from appearing while still keeping entire visits intact. If you use a hit-level segment that just contains the specific pages in question, it probably won't make a difference in this specific scenario, but if you wanted to get more details that happened on other pages, hit-level segments would filter that data out.

Level 1

@Gigazelle, what does it mean when you say - '...hit-level segments would filter that data out.' Is there some kind of de-duplication when looked at a segment level rather than at individual pages summed up.

I also read the article shared in the first bullet.