Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

slow segment

Level 6

Hi,

we have a segment where we exclude "bad traffic" i.e. anormal high amount of hits from an unknown monitor resolution which looks like this is not human.

Unfortunately, the segment gets bigger and bigger. It takes minutes to load, so any change takes an hour.

Any ideas how to make the segment faster?

Regards

Stefanie

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

can you share the segment definition by screenshot or tell us more how you define the segment? eg. what do you use within the segment?

maybe there are solutions to create a shorter segment, eg. with classifications...

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 1

Hi Stefanie,

Instead of creating segment for this, i would like to suggest the Bot Rule.

But it not will work on the historical data.

Below link for your reference,

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/admin/admin-tools/bot-rules/bot-rules.html

Regards,

Kavitha

Level 6

Hi Stefanie,

Unfortunately there is no option to improve the segment.

Best practice is to avoid this issue in future by excluding the bad traffic by using BOT rules Bot Rules overview

Regards,

Kumararaja K

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

can you share the segment definition by screenshot or tell us more how you define the segment? eg. what do you use within the segment?

maybe there are solutions to create a shorter segment, eg. with classifications...

Level 6

Hi,

that's a good idea (segmentation). The segment contains browsers which are excluded for certain months, and user agents.

The issue is that we need to update the segment every month because at the moment I cannot add future months to the segment. And because the segment is used in other segments (i.e. our standard filter), we need to drag-and-drop it every time we make a change because there is no "auto-update" when you have a segment in another segment...

I'll try to classify browsers by month

Community Advisor

if you always have the same "dimension" consider using classification!

example: assume your "exclude" is based on operating system and browser, different each month.

add a new prop to each server call like this

"YYmm-{useragent}"

now you can use classification to set a "exclude" flag "badTraffic" for the desired month/browsers.

this solution allows to use a simple segment (just exclude the "badTraffic"). all you need to update is the classification file - and this can be done in advance!!!

Level 6

Superb ursboller​ and thanks Stefanie for rasing this question. Happy i learnt something new today from this question.

Level 6

a "collapse all" function in segments would be useful... I have got many segments within segments...

Level 6

large segment.png

here you can see a small part of the segment, I cannot export, save as PDF...