Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Should I use `adobeDataLayer` as the name of our data Layer or can we use a different name

Level 1

Hi, 

Currently we are planning to implement AEP for our web and apps. We have introduced the new ACDL and found the name of the data layer to be `adobeDataLayer` there are few concerns on the naming convention. Changing to a different name has any impact ? also what is the advantage of using the name `adobeDataLayer` oppose to other names to our data layer. If you could please provide an explanation and some useful docs would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance 

Kind Regards, 

G

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I remember reading somewhere that it is not recommended to rename the data layer to something other than "adobeDataLayer". Unfortunately, I can't find that article any more. The Github issue that @Jennifer_Dungan linked to is your "source of truth" for this issue for now.

My recommendation would be to use "adobeDataLayer".

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

I don't actually use this extension.. so I may not be the best person to answer this... but I didn't see any one else trying to help, so here are my 2 cents....

I would think that you should be able to use any name for the data layer that works for you... Adobe tools and features tend to be quite flexible to fit the needs of the clients, rather than "locking" them into one way of doing things... I assume there should be a configuration for this somewhere....

If I were in your shoes I would give the re-naming a shot (just due your due diligence in testing - which you need to do anyway even with the default name). Since this is a new implementation, you must be testing it in some dev environment which gives you some latitude to play.

I found this documentation:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/integrations/adobe-client-dat...

and then I found this:
https://github.com/adobe/adobe-client-data-layer/issues/42

^ looks like this has some samples of using a custom name

Good luck!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I remember reading somewhere that it is not recommended to rename the data layer to something other than "adobeDataLayer". Unfortunately, I can't find that article any more. The Github issue that @Jennifer_Dungan linked to is your "source of truth" for this issue for now.

My recommendation would be to use "adobeDataLayer".