Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Segments with a visitor container and breakdown by day dimension

Level 1

I created a segment of users who had credit application clicks using a visitor container.  I used the month of April as the panel date range.  And there're about 4 million users (unique visitor). When I added a day dimension there're about 160K unique visitor each day.  What does the 160K mean?   Active unique visitor in each day who had made credit application in the month of April?    Because if I switch the segment container to visit level, the total is still 4 million users (unique visitor), but the daily visitor is much lower about 80K.

If I want to build a dashboard for the IT team to improve the engagement of credit applications, which segment container is better?  I feel like the visit level contain provides better information on the day level.  Is that right?

kjz36074788_0-1657682405154.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Just to add to this fine answer, when you create a segment at visitor level.. this is lifetime of the visitor (did this user ever do this action.... when you pull that into your report, it will limit the data to the "users that ever performed that action" that came to the site during your time frame.

Visit is definitely more focused, cause they need to have performed the action within the time frame... 

In many cases, I still prefer to use "hit" level in a lot of my segments... if I pair this with the UV metric, I still get the data I need (UVs who did X) but then if I want to get the count of actions (I don't get all the PVs in the entire visit that need to be filtered out)

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Community Advisor

When you use 'visitor' as the container, the table will match any visitor who had credit application clicks regardless of when that happened. It means there are 160K visitors on a particular date visiting your site and they had credit application clicks at any point in time.

When using 'visit' as the container, it limits the credit application clicks to the corresponding visit. So the 80K means there are 80K visitors visiting your site and had credit application clicks on that day as well.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Just to add to this fine answer, when you create a segment at visitor level.. this is lifetime of the visitor (did this user ever do this action.... when you pull that into your report, it will limit the data to the "users that ever performed that action" that came to the site during your time frame.

Visit is definitely more focused, cause they need to have performed the action within the time frame... 

In many cases, I still prefer to use "hit" level in a lot of my segments... if I pair this with the UV metric, I still get the data I need (UVs who did X) but then if I want to get the count of actions (I don't get all the PVs in the entire visit that need to be filtered out)

Level 1

Thank you for replying.

If a segment is defined at visitor level, it still bounded by the calendar correct?   If the calendar is selected as April, it only chose visitors who had credit applications in April but not the whole history. 

Community Advisor

No.... the problem is the order of operation...

The Segment is done first "unique visitors that did X"

The the calendar selection shows the users that were in your site in that month / range (but the segment action would be from all time).

So let's say you created a segment:

Unique Visitors that click on Button X

This would be based on all time "users who ever clicked on X", then your report looking at April, would show the users from that group that came to your site in April.

If you need to look at "Unique Visitors that click on Button X Last Month" you would need to add a "last month" range into the segment, but you also need to note to users that the segment is locked to a specific time frame (can be rolling like "last month", but would be locked into a specific rolling range). Changing your report to This Year, the segment would still be "Last Month"

Level 1

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan 

Does this mean that I cannot use a visitor segment to determine if someone has completed a visit-level task over the course of a certain time period?

For example if I want to know the number of visitors who placed 10 orders (across multiple visits) in 2022 I would make a visitor segment that includes order = 10 and date range = 2022. Would this actually be counting people who visited in 2022, but may have placed those 10 orders in 2021? 

I might be overthinking it, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks so much!

Best,

Mike

Community Advisor

@msappenfield you just have to be careful in creating your segments...

Using your example:

A visitor segment that includes order = 10 and date range = 2022

You have created a date specificity inside your segment, that will restrict those 10 orders to happen within 2022.... 

The original post was about creating a segment:

A visitor segment that includes order = 10

and simply using the report range to define the date...

But order = 10 could (and should be for all time).... then like you suggested apply a 2022 year range to limit the segment specifically to last year)

However, it looks like Adobe has changed the logic.... the Panel Date Range is providing definition... but that's NOT good.. now I can't create segments to look for Visitors that have ever signed up for a newsletter, or ever made a purchase...

I suppose I can do the opposite and create a full look-back range... 

But this shift could fundamentally break existing reports for a lot of people who expect Visitor segments to be "All Time" by default....

Level 1

@Jennifer_Dungan 

Your response was extremely helpful, I really appreciate it!

Best,

Mike

Level 1

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan ,

Can you please elaborate the statement " it looks like Adobe has changed the logic.... the Panel Date Range is providing definition... " ? Is it related to "Make date ranges components relative to panel calendar"?

As per my understanding if I have a Visitor level segment checking orders >10, all the visitor's lifetime orders by user will be counted as part of this segment not only the orders done in the reporting period. Has this logic changed now?
If you have an Adobe document handy that has an explanation for this update and you can share it , that would be great.

Thanks,

Rishabh

Community Advisor
As per my understanding if I have a Visitor level segment checking orders >10, all the visitor's lifetime orders by user will be counted as part of this segment not only the orders done in the reporting period

That is how it worked until recently!

I discovered a few weeks ago (and am still working with Adobe to understand what happened).. but right now, at this moment.... all Visitor Level segments are bound by the panel date!

So your "orders >10" is now more than 10 orders within the reporting period

Level 1

I see.. thanks for the response.. it was helpful  Please let us know about the change once you receive  update from Adobe. 

Thanks,

Rishabh

Thank you for your post on this! I too would be interested in seeing the documentation from Adobe on this. I'm actually happy about the change because it works better for my purposes, but want to make sure I have the correct interpretation.

Community Advisor

I don't know if this change is actually documented... yet... 

I am torn on the change... I think it will be easier for people, as 95% of people incorrectly believed it worked like that...

Also, when you wanted your visitor segment to reflect the current time frame, even when you added a date range into the segment, it would be locked to say a week, or a month.. meaning your report panel also had to reflect that length of time... Now it will auto adjust.

The problem is now communicating why everyone's Visitor segments work completely differently.. and for those 95% of people to explain why when they look at older data (using the same segment) the numbers are significantly smaller than what was previously reported on....

Level 1

Did you ever get an answer on this one Jennifer? Just stumbled across this thread!

Community Advisor

Lol, nope.. but I am still working on Adobe! I am working on a series of articles for them on how to build Segments, and these changes to Segment Logic have actually made certain segments no longer possible to build... As part of this, I specifically asked to work with a technical person at Adobe to ensure they can see why this is a problem.

Level 1

Ha okay. Thanks for the update - at least it confirms it's definitely still a thing and wasn't a temporary bug. 

Would you mind sharing the article once written?