Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!

Report for a Segment

Level 4

Hi community,

I need to make report for date range and particular metric(event) .

Since, the metric for the particular link click event wasn't being tracked, I made a sequential segment for the particular link click using sequential  segment in eVar changes.

After creating segment , when create  report I am not getting data . The report  is  as follows date range in metric place and link click segment in dimension place.

But, I am getting data while filter the segment by visits. Can anyone explain me why? 

8 Replies

Community Advisor

If this is related to the "Login Action" segment I helped you build the other day, you still need a metric...

Based on your description above you are using a segment and date range... this isn't enough to pull back data. You need to pair your segment with a metric (so I would put this back in the metrics area stacked with a metric) and put your date range (or Days dimensions, etc) in the dimension area.

Community Advisor

Sorry, I think that segment was for someone else, but it sounds so much like that other thread.... but regardless, you cannot create a Freeform table with Date and Segment alone... there must be a metric.

Level 4

Thanks Jennifer,

But, since I had visits in the segment already. Can, I filter by  visit on segment to get the data?

Community Advisor

Whether you are using the Visit scope, or actually using the Visits metric inside the rules of a segment:

Example:
Visits exists

OR

Visits is greater than 2

etc

This will not count as a metric in your freeform table. Any metric inside the segment is used only for determining qualifications for the segment to include or not include data sets...  It must still be paired with a metric in the table.

Would you be able to share screenshots of your segment and your table?

Level 4

Hi Jennifer ,

For link click event

The segment is as follows

VISIT Container

[Page  equal "page B"

AND

[

Visit Container

Page equal  "page A"

THEN After 1 hit

Page equal "page B"

]

]

Community Advisor

@AEPAA are you trying to just get "Page B HITS" when Page B comes directly after Page A? If so, your main segment shouldn't be "VISIT".

What you have will pull back ALL Pages during Visits that Have the sequence of Page A > Page B (within a hit) the first part isn't really doing anything here due to the scope of the segment... 

Here is a sample showing three variations:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1704645787412.png

Page B (Visit) AND Sequence Page A > Page B Direct

(Your segment)

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1704645852964.png

Example for above:

VISIT 1 (has A > B)

• Page A - included
  • Page B - included
  • Page C - included
  • Page B - included

VISIT 2 (does not have A > B)

• Page A - not included
  • Page D - not included
  • Page B - not included
  • Page C - not included
  • Page B - not included

Page A > Page B Direct (Visit) (Just Sequence)

(Removing the first clause from your segment to show it has no effect)

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1704645920603.png

Example for above:

VISIT 1 (has A > B)

• Page A - included
  • Page B - included
  • Page C - included
  • Page B - included

• Page A - not included
  • Page D - not included
  • Page B - not included
  • Page C - not included
  • Page B - not included

Page B (Hit) - In Sequence of Page A Direct to Page B

(Using a HIT based segment to pull back only Page B, within Visits that have segment Page A > B)

(Note: this will pull back ALL Page Bs in that visit, even ones that don't directly follow Page A)

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1704646052793.png

Example for above:

VISIT 1 (has A > B)

• Page A - not included
  • Page B - included
  • Page C - not included
  • Page B - included

• Page A - not included
  • Page D - not included
  • Page B - not included
  • Page C - not included
  • Page B - not included

If you need:

VISIT 1 (has A > B)

• Page A - not included
  • Page B - included
  • Page C - not included
  • Page B - not included

Then we need to get a bit more complex.

We need to add a qualifier to the VISIT container, to only include specific sequences:

Jennifer_Dungan_5-1704647185196.png

Jennifer_Dungan_6-1704647193789.png

You can see that the result for me to shaves off a few extra Page Views:

Jennifer_Dungan_7-1704647235816.png

Level 4

Thanks Jennifer,

I have a small query.

So After this I can use this segment filter by visit to get the reports.

Since, we are creating this segment in place of link click  metric, how will I be creating reports , Any suggestions on how the reports will look like.

Community Advisor

You can still pair this segment with different metrics, I used Page Views as is was the easier way to show the difference on what is returned (showing that all page views for the identified visits was brought back, vs just your Page B).

You can absolutely pair this with Visits or Unique Visitors (or even custom metrics), the Vs and UVs will still be limited to the Page B data set. But this makes sure that no matter what metric you use, its based on the identified page in the specified sequence.

Now, you say you are using this as a proxy for "click" (so I am guessing clicks from Page A to Page B), your page view metric will basically be your individual clicks. Your Visits metric will be the visits in which people clicked from A to B. Your Unique Visitors will be the number of unique devices (I won't say "people" since they may be using different devices) that clicked from Page A to Page B.

If you are concerned about the optics of showing "Page Views" in the report, since this is a proxy click report, you could make an ad hoc calculated metric (basically just in this report, but not shared to your main components list), that is really just "page views" but given a different name of "clicks":

To do this, simply add Page Views into your table, right click and choose Create metric from selection > Mean (yeah, don't worry, we aren't going to keep it as "Mean"... this is just the first option and therefore the easiest to use.

(If you choose "open in calculated metric builder, it will make a permanent metric instead of adhoc)

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1704811723750.png

On the new "Mean Page Views" column, hover over it, click on the ⓘ symbol, then on the popup, click on the pencil to edit.

You can tell this is an "ad hoc" metric when you see this at the top:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1704811880249.png

(And we will leave that box unchecked, since we don't want this to be permanent)

Change the Name of the Metric to something of your choice, i.e. "Clicks" or "Clicks (Page A > Page B)"

Then you can drag "Page Views" outside of the Mean function, and delete the function, leaving you with just:

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1704812018124.png

Then you can apply... technically, you could also add your segment into this definition, but if you already have it on your panel you don't really need to have it twice.

Now, back on your table, you will have identical values under "Page Views" and under "Clicks", you can remove the standard Page Views, so that your table is now more readable to your audience.  Then you can put Visits and Unique Visitors next to Clicks, and you will be able to see all three, then you can break these out by day, or by week, etc (and set the date range of your report in the top right corner of the panel)

Jennifer_Dungan_4-1704812441450.png