Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Report Builder - how to capture errors when using VBA macros to refresh data

Level 2

Hello all,

I have an Excel 2013 workbook that has two Report Builder requests.  Request B (a Page Path report) is dependent on Request A.  Request A references data entered by the user.  If the user enters bad data (a non-existent URL path) then Request A returns no data and Request B fails with "Pathing patter filter cannot be empty".

I am trying to give the user a more friendly error, since I know what most likely caused the error, i.e. the aforementioned bad URL string.  I have added error handling just to see what I can get, but the code is apparently ignored.

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox ("Error number: " & Str(Err.Number) & vbNewLine & _
           "Source: " & Err.Source & vbNewLine & _
           "Description: " & Err.Description)
End Sub

Any ideas of how to capture and overwrite the built in error message?

Thanks,

Kathryn

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Kathryn, what if you used VBA to refresh the workbooks as well? Explanation on how to do that is located here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/visual-basic-macros-reportbuilder.h...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 2

It occurs to me that this might not be seen by Excel as an error message, which raises the question, can I capture that dialog box in some way?

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Kathryn, what if you used VBA to refresh the workbooks as well? Explanation on how to do that is located here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/kb/en_US/analytics/kb/visual-basic-macros-reportbuilder.h...