Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Regular Expression vs Delimiter Rule

Level 2

Using the classification rule builder, an analyst needs to create a classification report for marketing tracking codes by the campaign name value codes. Below is an example of several tracking codes, where the item between the underscores represents the campaign name:

1. paid-search_non-branded-phrases_jeans

2. social-media_brand-awareness_twitter

3. display-advertising_brand-awareness_media-site

4. affiliates_shipping-discounts_affiliate-network

What kind of classification rule should the analyst create?

A. A Regular Expression rule that matches the pattern of the 2 underscores, pulling out the value between them

B. A Delimiter rule that breaks the tracking code apart at the underscore, placing the second item in the classification

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Dinesh,

As per adobe best practice , regular expressions are best suited for tracking codes that use delimiters.

Reference

https://docs.adobe.com/help/en/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-rulebuilder/clas...

In your example question, I am not quite sure about which Delimiter rule you are referring here but in classification rule builder you can create below Rules

Ex. paid-search_non-branded-phrases_jeans

1833801_pastedImage_1.png

$1 can be classified as source

$2 will be tracking code

$3 will be product or whatever you want to refer.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

Hi Dinesh,

As per adobe best practice , regular expressions are best suited for tracking codes that use delimiters.

Reference

https://docs.adobe.com/help/en/analytics/components/classifications/classifications-rulebuilder/clas...

In your example question, I am not quite sure about which Delimiter rule you are referring here but in classification rule builder you can create below Rules

Ex. paid-search_non-branded-phrases_jeans

1833801_pastedImage_1.png

$1 can be classified as source

$2 will be tracking code

$3 will be product or whatever you want to refer.

Hope this helps