Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Referrer URL sometimes at URL level, sometimes at Domain Level

Level 8
Level 8

Hi everyone,

Besides the adobe defualt "referrer", we've set up an dimension to record any page refer to the landing page at hit level, internal domain is also included. Try to help us to see any "previous page" before the current one.

But, recently we noticed that on this Referrer URL (prop33), some comes from www.youtube.com , some from exact video, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-HzF8DC2Mc (fake URL just for sample).

But in fact, it's nealy impossible the traffic from www.youtube.com directly, which represents the homepage of it.

Do you have any idea why this happens and any setting maybe wrong?

Thank you.

H

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It's hard to say what's wrong with your implementation without knowing the details of how you're setting prop33. From your example values, I'd say that it's being set by a script that either returns the referrer's domain name, when the referrer just contains the domain name, otherwise it returns the full referral URL. But that's just my guess.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It's hard to say what's wrong with your implementation without knowing the details of how you're setting prop33. From your example values, I'd say that it's being set by a script that either returns the referrer's domain name, when the referrer just contains the domain name, otherwise it returns the full referral URL. But that's just my guess.

Level 8

@H_L - This sounds like the behavior might be related to referrer-policy settings (Chrome details), and not your implementation. Have you looked into this as a possible reason?