Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Referencing a Calculated Metric within a new Calculated Metric

Level 1

I am trying to create a calculated metric with several static variable inputs. I want to set each of those variables as a calculated metric and then use those calculated metrics to build the bigger calculated metric. The idea is that it would be easier if/when those static numbers need to be changed in the future to be able to go into the smaller calculated metric to make the edit and then have the larger equation automatically update. ex. metric a=5, metric b=5, metric c=a*b*evar5. Right now that means metric c is 25*evar5, but in the future I might need to update a to a different number such as 2, making c equal to 10*evar5. Instead of someone (of myself) having to try to figure out what a and b are, they would be named calculated metrics that would be easy to change instead of having to get into the larger equation. Currently any time I try to drag the smaller calculated metrics into the bigger one I am trying to build, it just defaults to whatever the current static value is with no reference to it that would update should I change the smaller metric. Any ideas for a workaround on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, I think it has been asked before for the ability to have the option to create a "reference link" within segments and calculated metrics so that changing one will affect all, but also still allowing the option to create a copy of the definition, since sometimes you really don't want the values to be updated based on the original.....

Both behaviours would be a nice addition to the system...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 9

HI @elliemayberry 

good one! The problem I see is that you cannot drag a calculated metric into a new calculated metric as such.

Instead, it will always insert the definition of the first metric in your new calculated metric.

Meaning, any updates to the first calculated metric will not automatically applied to the second calculated metric anymore.

Example: I have a calculated metric "Returning Visitor Ratio" which is a simple division

bjoern__koth_0-1719498836959.png

When I now create another calculated metric and use this ratio, it looks like this.

So basically, you will not be able to make adjustments/fixes that will be automatically considered.

bjoern__koth_1-1719498923162.png

I am curious if anyone has as real solution to this.

Else, this would be a good product improvement idea (should it not have been suggested before).

Cheers

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yes, I think it has been asked before for the ability to have the option to create a "reference link" within segments and calculated metrics so that changing one will affect all, but also still allowing the option to create a copy of the definition, since sometimes you really don't want the values to be updated based on the original.....

Both behaviours would be a nice addition to the system...