Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Identifying the Underlying Event

Level 3

In Adobe Analytics, when verifying segments, I typically use visitor ID, visit number, and hit depth to ensure they meet the segment criteria. However, sometimes it's unclear which event triggered a specific hit depth.

During segment validation, I usually add occurrence, visits, page views, and potential page-level events as metrics to examine a particular visitor's visit and hit depth. While occurrence and visit capture the event, the remaining metrics often fail to capture it. Although the event occurred, identifying it requires manually adding each relevant event metric, which can be time-consuming and ineffective.

Ideally, it would be great if a dimension would indicate the event associated with each hit depth. Currently, the only visible metric is "page event," which merely distinguishes between events and page views.

Are there any methods or tips for identifying the specific event in such cases? Or is there simply no way to do this? Manually adding every event from Workspace is impractical.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, I am assuming that this is using Raw Data feeds?

Yes, the default collection is pretty basic, the page_event is really just a generic classification of what type of event is triggered, a Page View, and Action, a Media Event (keep in mind that even "page view" is not limited to "0" page events, any hit that has PageName or PageURL will be counted as a page view in Adobe - sort of making this field not even 100% accurate)

One of the standard dimensions on Actions, and this should be populated on all actions are the page_event_vars (1 being the link, used for exit links and 2 being the custom link name). If you need clarity around what type of actions are being triggered, that all comes down to how well the custom link names are written, and other custom dimensions that give the action context.

This likely won't even be standard across all your actions... 

Form submissions would collect information about the form in dedicated dimensions, and be paired with dedicated events. The same for conversions, or conversion flows; the data collected and into what dimensions and events will be customized to needs of the implementation.

I honestly don't see any sort of "one size fits all" solution that could ever be achieved. The closest to that would be page_event_var_2, and even that doesn't cover exits... Then of course, the data passed to page_event_var_2 is controlled by the implementation; and how useful those values are to you is completely dependent on the person or people setting those calls up.

The best thing to do is to work with your team, get the documentation (if there is any, and if not, maybe start working together to create something that will benefit everyone), and work together to figure out what you need to understand the actions and give clarity, and maybe request a dimension that can be applied to every action that could support your needs?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @kr8tive 

As per my understanding, there doesn't seem to be a straightforward built-in solution in Adobe Analytics to directly associate a hit depth with the specific event that triggered it.

The "page event" metric you mentioned is the closest thing, but as you've noted, it only distinguishes between events and page views, without providing the specific event details.

however here are few suggestions that may help .

1) Use Custom Dimensions: creating a custom dimension that captures the specific event name or type for each hit. This way, you can associate the hit depth with the corresponding event.

2) through calculated metrics 

3) Flow visualizations might help to identify the relations between hit and event type. 

4) lastly, through data collection - adobe launch- use more granular event tracking. 

I think @Jennifer_Dungan help more. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi, I am assuming that this is using Raw Data feeds?

Yes, the default collection is pretty basic, the page_event is really just a generic classification of what type of event is triggered, a Page View, and Action, a Media Event (keep in mind that even "page view" is not limited to "0" page events, any hit that has PageName or PageURL will be counted as a page view in Adobe - sort of making this field not even 100% accurate)

One of the standard dimensions on Actions, and this should be populated on all actions are the page_event_vars (1 being the link, used for exit links and 2 being the custom link name). If you need clarity around what type of actions are being triggered, that all comes down to how well the custom link names are written, and other custom dimensions that give the action context.

This likely won't even be standard across all your actions... 

Form submissions would collect information about the form in dedicated dimensions, and be paired with dedicated events. The same for conversions, or conversion flows; the data collected and into what dimensions and events will be customized to needs of the implementation.

I honestly don't see any sort of "one size fits all" solution that could ever be achieved. The closest to that would be page_event_var_2, and even that doesn't cover exits... Then of course, the data passed to page_event_var_2 is controlled by the implementation; and how useful those values are to you is completely dependent on the person or people setting those calls up.

The best thing to do is to work with your team, get the documentation (if there is any, and if not, maybe start working together to create something that will benefit everyone), and work together to figure out what you need to understand the actions and give clarity, and maybe request a dimension that can be applied to every action that could support your needs?