Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Post-view conversion tracking in Site Catalyst ver.15

Level 1

Hi, Russ!

In continue of our dialogue in twitter writing you here.

Please tell me what exactly do I need to set up in Site Catalyst if I want to track conversions made after looking at digital ad with no click on it

For example logic is "Users visits my site" - "User browses through goods sold on it" - "User leaves for good" - "User sees my display ad" - "User returns to my site with a search engine" - "User makes a purchase" if a purchase was made in a 48 hours after he looked on ad I attribute a sale to my ad provider.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

The best way of accomplishing this would be via the use of cookies, however reading or writing cookies across domains is not allowed. Without the user actively doing something (such as clicking), implementing this logic would prove extremely difficult. 

If you REEAALLY wanted to do something like this, you could have Adobe Analytics fire an image request when serving the display ad, but that would cause a large inflation of visits and unique visitors.

If you have a way of being able to identify visitors on the third party site and relay that data to your site for use in Analytics, then I suppose it would be reasonable; but otherwise you're best off tracking clicks to your site.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

The best way of accomplishing this would be via the use of cookies, however reading or writing cookies across domains is not allowed. Without the user actively doing something (such as clicking), implementing this logic would prove extremely difficult. 

If you REEAALLY wanted to do something like this, you could have Adobe Analytics fire an image request when serving the display ad, but that would cause a large inflation of visits and unique visitors.

If you have a way of being able to identify visitors on the third party site and relay that data to your site for use in Analytics, then I suppose it would be reasonable; but otherwise you're best off tracking clicks to your site.

Level 1

Thanks for feedback!

I am reading manuals at the moment, what can you say about setting up a Custom Link Tracking?

Like that for example:

1) Implementing in all ads a pixel (as an image)

2) Setting up a custom link tracking for this image as a "file download"

3) Settung up a segment reporting "Users who downloaded a file and then made a purchase in a 24 hours time"?

Maybe it can work?

Employee Advisor

Yes, that absolutely would work in getting the particular data set you're looking for, but that's where the side effect of inflation in visits and unique visitors would come into play. When you fire link tracking image requests every time someone views a display ad, that would start a new visit or unique visitor, even if they have never been to your site before. If you only want to fire image requests based on people who have visited your site before, that's where the ability to identify users on the display ads' sites comes into play (so you only trigger the image request on visitors who have been to your site before).

Level 1

Thanks a lot!

Please can you describe if it is possible somehow "mark" this users in a separate segment so we can manually exclude them from unique visitors?

So if we talk about showing display ads only to those who already have been on my site - there will be no inflation? Could we then set up a "timer" for users who have converted after looking at an ad? For example if unique visitor viewed an ad an then made a purchase in 24 hours - display ad will be considered as a conversion source, if it will take more time - display ad will not be counted as a source that have given a conversion?

Thanks!